Therapy Is A Con

lisaadele

This is interesting. It's true that you don't hear discussion about potential negative side-effects or harm of therapy. There is a general unquestioning acceptance that it is inherently good and helpful.

Empty

Yes, exactly. This widespread belief that paying someone for 'special conversations' as a therapy is insidious.

Further, the idea that the person you are paying is more knowledgeable or able to help you because they have 'qualifications' is myth.

I have ordered the book 'Against Therapy' by Masson :
http://jeffreymasson.com/books/against-therapy.html

I don't know if it is any good but liked the title.

lisaadele

I like the title too . When I was younger I was always very pro therapy and in a few ways did benefit from it. However, a while back (10 years or so) had an experience that turned me against it for myself. I'm not universally anti-therapy but my experience opened my eyes to its limits.

Tina

The god-complex is great in the world of psychotherapy and it is truly frightening how much power they have.

Empty

I have gone from being open minded about it to personally realising it is a con although still find techniques here and there useful so long as I am fully aware and am consenting. I also acknowledge some people do say they needed it and it helped them.

Shocking how little informed consent occurs, made up diagnoses and trauma occurring to victims as therapists induldge themselves in their own little manipulations. Worse is having no way of knowing before starting a 'treatment plan'. It was reading the propaganda of O'Sullivans stories from her award winning novel that interested me in this area again.

There needs to be much more cutting edge work done than that. It would also be nice for patients across the board to start empowering themselves, as i the example above, or at least stop trying to disempower patients who have had this realisation. Physical, chronic illness does not mean that we are in need of psychological therapy! Knowing this does not mean we are shirkers who refuse to tackle the depths of the psyche where the mythical wound is and if only we would try and cry hard enough to uncover these mythical emotional traumas we would be cured.

Massons states abuse is woven into the very fabric of psychotherapy and I agree.

Strike me lucky

I have gone from being open minded about it to personally realising it is a con although still find techniques here and there useful so long as I am fully aware and am consenting. I also acknowledge some people do say they needed it and it helped them.

Shocking how little informed consent occurs, made up diagnoses and trauma occurring to victims as therapists induldge themselves in their own little manipulations. Worse is having no way of knowing before starting a 'treatment plan'. It was reading the propaganda of O'Sullivans stories from her award winning novel that interested me in this area again.

There needs to be much more cutting edge work done than that. It would also be nice for patients across the board to start empowering themselves, as i the example above, or at least stop trying to disempower patients who have had this realisation. Physical, chronic illness does not mean that we are in need of psychological therapy! Knowing this does not mean we are shirkers who refuse to tackle the depths of the psyche where the mythical wound is and if only we would try and cry hard enough to uncover these mythical emotional traumas we would be cured.

Massons states abuse is woven into the very fabric of psychotherapy and I agree.

Im not against meds as such but psych meds are really just a glorified way of treating using uppers and downers, maybe abit more refined?? They still dont cure the condition they are trying to treat.

Also good to throw at a dr when he suggests one has depression, what blood test do u use to diagnose depression, usually a dumb look on their face. Psych diagnosis are a guess at best, everyone is bloody crazy just depends on the depth of it and how dangerous one is???

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources