"Through the Shadowlands"- Julie Rehmeyer's Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) Tale of Recovery

Wayne

We had no clue that we had mold hidden within all the exterior walls of our 16 year old house. No sign, no smell, nothing to be seen --

Hi Lissa,

I recently watched a segment on the PBS program "This Old House" in which they discussed a kind of insulation that is mold-resistant. I would be curious what kind of insulation you decided to use in your remodeling. I just did a quick google search, and came up with these two links:

https://www.thisoldhouse.com/ideas/new-insulation-options

http://ecobuiltsystems.com/portfolio/mineral-foam/

Sounds like mold-resistant insulation can also provide additional sound-proofing as well.

Lissa

Hi Lissa,

I recently watched a segment on the PBS program "This Old House" in which they discussed a kind of insulation that is mold-resistant. I would be curious what kind of insulation you decided to use in your remodeling. I just did a quick google search, and came up with these two links:

https://www.thisoldhouse.com/ideas/new-insulation-options

http://ecobuiltsystems.com/portfolio/mineral-foam/

Sounds like mold-resistant insulation can also provide additional sound-proofing as well.

Hi Wayne!

Thanks for the links-- we have already decided to use Roxul, a mineral wool. My husband (the systems engineer - ha ha) did his own little trade study when he was researching what to use.

We haven't installed any yet... hoping to do it soon though. Getting a functional bathroom and kitchen was slightly more important so far. :)

Merida

@Lissa
Wow. I certainly trust your body is telling you, and your important observations. Interesting that my son ( age 36) lives is a more humid environment near the beach, and is quite concerned about any mold in the house. Had several bathroom repairs for minor mold. He is extremely sensitive, and ( as I mentioned) had severe EBV at age 5 with many neuro symptoms for years. I would be interested in learning about the biology and genetics of the 'black mold." Yes, where did it come from?

Merida

@Wayne
Thanks again for the repost and important info. I have not done the BioCranial approach exactly, but I worked for years with C. Curtis Buddingh, sacro- occipital chiro, cranial researcher and world respected
Cranial chiro. He did research on the interrelationship of the function of the sphenoid and occiput. He ended up being baffled as to why I was stuck and not better than I was.

So, about 7 years ago we ended up at the jaw, and how important it is to the function of the entire cranial system. So, under his suggestion, I saw a dentist here in So. Calif., plunked down a lot of cash, had an appliance made, and got so much worse with appliance in - lots of neuro symptoms! So, I flew to Virginia to see Brendan Stack, DDS - THE expert. Yes, appliance was made incorrectly. Yes, the discs in my jaw had slipped inward ( from MRI). Yes, probably causing 80 per cent of my neuro issues. But $25,000 to even get started with surgery and appliances.

Also, I remembered sequence of events : pelvis/ sacrum went out first, then upper neck/occiput ( felt it go one night !), then gradually the jaw.

Wayne, hope you are well. Guys may be a little less complicated due to more stable pelvis?? Would love to get together and chat . What part of the country do you live?
I have 3 BIG books that put this altogether :
1. Chiropractic : The Anatomy and Physiology of Sacro- Occiptal Technique - by Jonathan Howat, DC, DICS, etc. Absolutely brilliant - incredible detail.
2. Scoliosis and Spinal Pain Syndrome, by professor ( Odessa Univ.) Valentyne Serdyuk - orthopedic surgeon , devoted to understanding and treating idiopathic scoliosis, AND the many structural anomalies that can come with even mild scoliosis.
3. The Downside of Upright Posture by Michael Flanagan, DC, neurochiropractor. He is brilliant on structure/ function, but takes this a step further. Why should Homo sapiens sapiens, after millions of years of evolution, be commonly plagued by brain fluid ( CSF and blood) drainage and circulation issues? Ha! Hint: He thinks the Great Pyramid in Egypt could not have been built with the primitive technology of the time. Neither do I. I was there, in the King's chamber , in 1976. Hmmm.

Forebearance

I want to add to this thread that I don't think Julie is saying or implying that mycotoxins are the sole cause of ME/CFS. All those of us who are mold-avoiding people can tell is that getting away from mycotoxins makes us feel better.

Even Erik, the guy who firgured this out, has said that toxic mold in the area of Lake Tahoe seems to have been a factor in the outbreak of CFS around there, not the sole cause. We really need some research done to find out exactly what role mycotoxins play in this illness.

I was encouraged when Dr. Naviaux found out that having less functional mitochondria could make a person's body a lot more sensitive to all types of poisons and pollutants and etc. That could start to explain this!

Merida

Yes, it is toxins of all kinds that interrupt the oxidative metabolic cycles at various points. But also, simple tension on nerve tissue causes mitochondrial dysfunction - interruption of the cytochrome part of the oxidative pathway. ( this was demonstrated and published by neurosurgeon Shokei Yamada in his studies of the pathophysiology of tethered cord syndrome) Viruses can also cause mitochondria dysfunction.

To complicate matters, hormones absolutely affect transfer of biochemicals across cell membranes, which ultimately affect the cellular metabolic machinery. ( mitochondria, etc.)

So my head begins to spin when researchers are looking at these incredibly complex biochemical pathways without being able to hold almost anything constant- too many variables.

But these important observations of individuals ( like mold sickness) seem important and quite possibly of value to others.

Gee, how many of us have big reactions to sulfa drugs, sulfites, sulfur dioxide? I have talked to many. What is that all about????!

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources