Treadmill Stress Test

Judi

Has anyone done a treadmill stress test? Did you crash afterwards? I need eye surgery but my cardiologist wants me to do a stress test first.

Birdie

I did a two day CPT in Ithaca, crashed afterwards, and never recovered to a pre-test level. To be explicit, at the time I was only moderately ill, and there were other stressors involved, including a two day car trip as a passenger. Each intense stressor I have encountered since has followed the same pattern of a crash followed by some recovery, but not to pre-stressor level. I am now severe, not quite bed bound. Personally I would be very cautious, but as we know there's great variation in this disease and it may affect you differently. Best of luck!
PS- There is a version of stress test that uses drugs instead of exercise to induce stress. Not sure if that might be a better choice, but you may want to explore that option further.

Judi

I did a two day CPT in Ithaca, crashed afterwards, and never recovered to a pre-test level. To be explicit, at the time I was only moderately ill, and there were other stressors involved, including a two day car trip as a passenger. Each intense stressor I have encountered since has followed the same pattern of a crash followed by some recovery, but not to pre-stressor level. I am now severe, not quite bed bound. Personally I would be very cautious, but as we know there's great variation in this disease and it may affect you differently. Best of luck!
PS- There is a version of stress test that uses drugs instead of exercise to induce stress. Not sure if that might be a better choice, but you may want to explore that option further.

Hi Birdie thank you for sharing your experience. Sorry you are severe :( I am in the same situation, not totally bed bound but I am home bound. I did the nuclear stress test before but it was so awful! I got very sick! Fingers crossed it won't be too long of a recovery time :) The surgery will be another big stressor! Appreciate your response.

Not dead yet!

Has anyone done a treadmill stress test? Did you crash afterwards? I need eye surgery but my cardiologist wants me to do a stress test first.

Yeah I had a very weird one before I was fully unable to work. I definitely "crashed" afterwards, but I remember the doctors wondering why I was so quickly and alarmingly gasping for breath, and I was dull/glassy-eyed because I was focused on not passing out. At the time, I had recently recovered from a lung issue, so it was dismissed as related to that.

I'd at least make a bargain, and say, OK I'll do it, but help me out too. Order it repeated on day 2 so I have something useful in case the stress test is validated as diagnostics for ME/CFS. Or just arrange to pay out of pocket for the second one. If you're going to crash, at least come out with something to show. :)

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources