Vacation Poll #1:

How well did your energy hold up on your last vacation?

• Really well - I planned, paced and I did well - no relapse afterwards

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Moderately well - I paced at times and made it through OK - moderate relapse

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Not so well - I crashed and burned pretty early! And suffered the consequences

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • It was pretty much a disaster - it may be the last vacation I take in quite awhile

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Vacation? I'm in no shape to take a vacation

Votes: 4 16.0%

• Total voters

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Beach-vacation.jpg

Meredith just provided a Tips For Taking a Vacation with FM and ME/CFS blog. Now we ask how your energy hold up during your last vacation. If you haven't taken one in awhile let us know as well.

It doesn't get much simpler than a cruise and Royal Caribbean dotes on passengers. Very nice people! I travel frequently to the coast of South Carolina too because it is my second home. My motto is keep it simple.

Cort

Staff member
It doesn't get much simpler than a cruise and Royal Caribbean dotes on passengers. Very nice people! I travel frequently to the coast of South Carolina too because it is my second home. My motto is keep it simple.
Sounds like cruises are it for ME/CFS and FM patients...

Sounds like cruises are it for ME/CFS and FM patients...
I was so grateful to be well enough to go on that cruise because my daughter got married on the beach at St. Thomas, so the whole wedding party was on the cruise. I was worried about sea sickness, and did have it a little, but only slightly.

Tami

Meredith just provided a Tips For Taking a Vacation with FM and ME/CFS blog. Now we ask how your energy hold up during your last vacation. If you haven't taken one in awhile let us know as well.

Most my vacations revolve around seeing my out-of-state grandchildren, once a year.
We live at an elevation of about 6,300 ft., they're at 890 ft.. I feel like a new woman at lower elevations, it's great!
I have to pace and watch for adrenaline surges; I spend my time with relatives and friends whose company I enjoy...limit time with those who are a bit difficult to be around; and always have a plan in place for resting.
Renting a place to stay is always better than staying with someone. I'm not as mature and accepting as I'd like, regarding this disease. When I have a place to retreat, I'm not tempted to please others and go past my limits on adrenaline. After all these years, I still pretend to be well whenever I can get away with it. (Slow-learner!)
It's difficult for people to understand "good fun" is as taxing as any other activity. I often hear, "You don't have to do anything, just sit and listen." It's difficult for people who are well to understand the cost, of simply sitting upright and listening.
If we drive and I can recline and take adequate stops--the health consequences aren't as severe as when I fly. The whole airport thing and flying seem to cause more symptoms.

Cort

Staff member
Most my vacations revolve around seeing my out-of-state grandchildren, once a year.
We live at an elevation of about 6,300 ft., they're at 890 ft.. I feel like a new woman at lower elevations, it's great!
I have to pace and watch for adrenaline surges; I spend my time with relatives and friends whose company I enjoy...limit time with those who are a bit difficult to be around; and always have a plan in place for resting.
Renting a place to stay is always better than staying with someone. I'm not as mature and accepting as I'd like, regarding this disease. When I have a place to retreat, I'm not tempted to please others and go past my limits on adrenaline. After all these years, I still pretend to be well whenever I can get away with it. (Slow-learner!)
It's difficult for people to understand "good fun" is as taxing as any other activity. I often hear, "You don't have to do anything, just sit and listen." It's difficult for people who are well to understand the cost, of simply sitting upright and listening.
If we drive and I can recline and take adequate stops--the health consequences aren't as severe as when I fly. The whole airport thing and flying seem to cause more symptoms.
I agree renting and having your own place is probably ideal....

and if you're healthy enough driving is not so bad...you can go a long way in the car.

swimgirl

I am unable to fly or stay in hotel rooms because of multiple chemical sensitivities, which can double or triple the severity of my CFS.
My husband has done something wonderful for me. He bought a beautiful custom made camper for our truck. We live in the foothills near beautiful lakes and rivers and can go nearly anyplace and camp, swim, and kayak(the dogs and I can lounge on board while Superman paddles our double kayak).
Our foothill home has extremely high ozone levels which turn me into a zombie during the day in the high heat of the summer months, so whenever possible we zip up to the top of the mountain for a few days.
When I must sleep or rest several times a day, Superman hikes, bikes, or visits friends.
Since we dry camp or boonie camp, we are removed from most electro-magnetic fields, which also affect me.
Of note too, is that swimming(floating, standing and treading water works too) always revives my energy level for about three hours. It is pretty amazing to feel like a normal person for a period of time! Walking on wet grass or ground or being in a body of water are the only kind of "earthing" techniques that noticeably help.

Tammy7

My one and only real vacation with CFS was about 7 years ago. It was a SURPRISE trip to Hawaii. This would have been so exciting if I was healthy and while this was a nice gesture from a friend..........I was only given 4 days notice and I really didn't feel like my body was up to going............but since the tickets, reservations, etc were already paid for I felt obligated to go.o_O.......... I would have never made a trip like that otherwise........unless of course I was at a higher functioning level. I can't say that it was a complete disaster.............I did have some nice moments.............went snorkeling but stepped on some coral and couldn't walk good for the next four days. Went driving around the island sight seeing.......went to some awesome aquariams , restaurants............a loaow..(forgot spelling) The snorkeling for a very short period is really the only physical thing I did besides walking. (I really needed a wheelchair). I pretty much pushed myself.................too hard.

I can't remember how many days it was into the vacation that I started to feel what I thought were small earthquake tremors. I kept asking my friend and other people if they could feel the tremors..............but no one else felt them..............then the tremors started feeling like they were getting bigger. The sensation felt like the ground was coming up to waist level. UH OH..............big time sign that I have pushed pass the envelope. I really thought that this was going to be the beginning of a major crash..............I was so upset with myself that I had pushed that hard. However and much to my surprise I didn't crash.............that really shocked me.

Cort

Staff member
I am unable to fly or stay in hotel rooms because of multiple chemical sensitivities, which can double or triple the severity of my CFS.
My husband has done something wonderful for me. He bought a beautiful custom made camper for our truck. We live in the foothills near beautiful lakes and rivers and can go nearly anyplace and camp, swim, and kayak(the dogs and I can lounge on board while Superman paddles our double kayak).
Our foothill home has extremely high ozone levels which turn me into a zombie during the day in the high heat of the summer months, so whenever possible we zip up to the top of the mountain for a few days.
When I must sleep or rest several times a day, Superman hikes, bikes, or visits friends.
Since we dry camp or boonie camp, we are removed from most electro-magnetic fields, which also affect me.
Of note too, is that swimming(floating, standing and treading water works too) always revives my energy level for about three hours. It is pretty amazing to feel like a normal person for a period of time! Walking on wet grass or ground or being in a body of water are the only kind of "earthing" techniques that noticeably help.
I was recently in Santa Barbara. I was surprised to find that just walking in the surf was rejuvenating......

Let me guess - you live in the Sierra Nevada foothills?

Cort

Staff member
My one and only real vacation with CFS was about 7 years ago. It was a SURPRISE trip to Hawaii. This would have been so exciting if I was healthy and while this was a nice gesture from a friend..........I was only given 4 days notice and I really didn't feel like my body was up to going............but since the tickets, reservations, etc were already paid for I felt obligated to go.o_O.......... I would have never made a trip like that otherwise........unless of course I was at a higher functioning level. I can't say that it was a complete disaster.............I did have some nice moments.............went snorkeling but stepped on some coral and couldn't walk good for the next four days. Went driving around the island sight seeing.......went to some awesome aquariams , restaurants............a loaow..(forgot spelling) The snorkeling for a very short period is really the only physical thing I did besides walking. (I really needed a wheelchair). I pretty much pushed myself.................too hard.

I can't remember how many days it was into the vacation that I started to feel what I thought were small earthquake tremors. I kept asking my friend and other people if they could feel the tremors..............but no one else felt them..............then the tremors started feeling like they were getting bigger. The sensation felt like the ground was coming up to waist level. UH OH..............big time sign that I have pushed pass the envelope. I really thought that this was going to be the beginning of a major crash..............I was so upset with myself that I had pushed that hard. However and much to my surprise I didn't crash.............that really shocked me.
Pretty scary stuff - sounds like you got out of there just in time....

swimgirl

I was recently in Santa Barbara. I was surprised to find that just walking in the surf was rejuvenating......

Let me guess - you live in the Sierra Nevada foothills?
You guessed it Cort! But it has been over 100 degrees temperature with ridiculously high ozone levels to match. Mountaintops are also too hot for me without A/C. (Dang we should have had it installed when we bought the camper.) If I can ever manage to get ready we plan a vacation experiment to spend lot time in coastal climates where ozone levels are lowest to see how symptoms change. Blessed retirement.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources