Drug Valtrex/Valacyclovir Regimes

Discussion in 'Antivirals and Immune Health' started by kst88, Jun 5, 2018.

1. kst88

kst88 New Member

Hey everyone, I'm new here but excited to get involved and get to know people.

My name is Kristina, I'm based in London, 27yrs old, have had ME (ranging from moderate to severe) for the past 4yrs, and tried a variety of treatments. The latest one is Valtrex, following Dr. Lerner's protocol (found here: http://www.treatmentcenterforcfs.com/documents/mecfstreatmentresourceguideforpractitioners.pdf ), which I found and my immunologist agreed to trial because I have high EBV and HHV6 antibody levels (VCA IgG 590 U/ml and IgG Ab. titre of 1:320, respectively), with the required liver function tests done regularly.

I know there are threads that discuss Valtrex and other antivirals, but I've noticed that everyone is on different treatment protocols and dosages, and I would like to hear about your detailed experiences with this drug.

Please include: dosage, frequency, side effects, time taking it, and if you don't mind also the length and severity of your ME, as well as what antibodies you tested highly for. I believe getting some more specific and detailed information can help us all navigate this very vague world of antivirals treatment, as there is so little info out there.

Thanks in advance, I look forward to hearing from you! Also happy to share any more details about my treatment so far (I've only just started, 2 months and you're supposed to only see benefits after 3.5 at the soonest) if anyone's interested.

Kristina

Remy likes this.
  2. Hip

Hip Well-Known Member

Dr Lerner actually used Valcyte rather than Valtrex when HHV-6 or cytomegalovirus are involved. Valtrex only works for EBV, whereas Valcyte works for all three of these herpesviruses.

Remy likes this.
  3. Remy

Remy Administrator

I saw Lerner in 2013. I was positive for EBV, CMV, and HHV6.

He had me taking 4g/day of Valtrex and 900 mg of Valcyte twice a day.

I was at a 3 when I started and at a 5 when I stopped, though I relapsed for other reasons in 2015.

I took the antivirals for about 2 years total. It was not a cure for me, but I don’t regret trying.

Hip and Not dead yet! like this.
  4. Not dead yet!

Not dead yet! Well-Known Member

I am still taking Valtrex 1g at 2x/day on a 3 months on/off basis. It has been two years (?) and it isn't a cure, but it does help and has interrupted a crash in the past.

My personal opinion is that it's controlling something that would be a secondary infection to whatever ME/CFS is really caused by. I haven't tried Valcyte.

Remy likes this.
  5. Lisa L.

Lisa L. Member

Hi everyone. I cannot remember the dosage now but I took valacyclovir and followed Dr. Lerner’s protocal for about a year and a half. There was no improvement, in fact it only made the exhaustion worst. But, I’ve been sick for over three decades and I think when you take it can make a big difference. The earlier the better, the more acute the better. It was more than disappointing. For the first time in years, I had some hope that maybe something would help. I hope it helps you!

Remy likes this.