Video: ME/CFS - Dueling Hypotheses

AquaFit

Both researchers are missing the component of why is a minority of the population so vulnerable to the same infections and/or injuries that most of the population is not? That is the aspect to be treated which will prevent relapse when another trigger comes along.

"Neuroglia also called glial cells, or simply glia (Greek γλία and γλοία "glue"; pronounced in English as either /ˈɡliːə/ or /ˈɡlaɪə/), are non-neuronal cells that maintain homeostasis, form myelin, and provide support and protection for neurons in the central and peripheral nervous systems." -Wikipedia

"Glia are nervous system cells that communicate by chemical signaling rather than by electrical impulses. Originally glia were considered connective tissue involved in neuronal support and neuroinflammation, but in the last decade it has become evident that all types of glia can sense functional activity in neurons and influence transmission of information in several ways. Glia are involved in nearly every aspect of brain function, including brain development, homeostasis, information processing, neurological disease and psychiatric illness." -http://www.thedoctorwillseeyounow.com/content/mind/art3792.html

Note that glial cells were considered connective tissue until it was discovered that they engage in chemical signalling. The mysentry was also considered "just connective tissue" until it was recently discovered that it also engages in chemical signalling and then it was given the status of an organ.

Here's my thought: connective tissue, the liquid and solids which are "the glue that holds the body together" have been engaging in chemical signalling ever since we, as blastocysts, formed inner and outer groups of cells and the outer group signalled the placenta to start with the food, etc.

If there's something genetically wrong with connective tissue, perhaps amongst other things the glial cells are not making good myelin sheaths and schwann cells, which protect the nerves from injury. Rather than being "overactive" as is the current medical fad, perhaps the CNS is simply unprotected because some people make faulty connective tissue.

TracyD

Both researchers are missing the component of why is a minority of the population so vulnerable to the same infections and/or injuries that most of the population is not? That is the aspect to be treated which will prevent relapse when another trigger comes along.
I agree that a truly complete account will explain "why us and not them?"

AquaFit

Thought you might find this study interesting, Tracy. It fits in with this thread because it includes neurotransmission. It also examines oxidative stress, energy metabolism, lipid metabolism, glutathione s-transferase, serotonin, connective tissue and more. No, it's not a CFS study on people. It's a study of mussels housed in cages in waters polluted by petrochemicals. It's kind of like looking at a study of CFS patients, but I don't imagine that the mussels are being prescribed yoga and being told to "pace" themselves. (I use the term CFS when referring to studies as that is the only term the medical industrial complex professionally recognizes.)

https://www.researchgate.net/profil...30cf28eae4a65fde1.pdf?origin=publication_list

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources