What do you drink w/ your meds/supplements

sasha

there's been a lot of press on certain juices (mostly citrus, apple) interfering w/ meds. anyone aware of other info on drinks (feel free to chime in on food, too) to avoid taking w/ or around the same time as common meds/supplements (e.g., valcyte/famvir/other anti-virals, LDN, stimulants like adderall or vyvanse, probiotics taken in pill form, typical range of supplements)? other than the long list of all of my favorite things that we should generally try avoiding. what about cranberry juice, coffee (not hot) or kombucha?

Remy

Administrator
there's been a lot of press on certain juices (mostly citrus, apple) interfering w/ meds. anyone aware of other info on drinks (feel free to chime in on food, too) to avoid taking w/ or around the same time as common meds/supplements (e.g., valcyte/famvir/other anti-virals, LDN, stimulants like adderall or vyvanse, probiotics taken in pill form, typical range of supplements)? other than the long list of all of my favorite things that we should generally try avoiding. what about cranberry juice, coffee (not hot) or kombucha?
Mostly you should avoid grapefruit juice because it will interact with a lot of drugs through the CYP 3A4 pathway. Many, many drugs are detoxified through this pathway and the concentrations in your blood will increase if you drink a lot of grapefruit juice at the same time.

You can go to most any drug interaction checker too and see what it says...for example, cranberry apparently works on the CYP2C9 pathway and interacts especially with Warfarin.

http://www.rxlist.com/cranberry-page3/supplements.htm#Interactions

Other than that, I mostly try to take probiotics with plain water but take most everything else with whatever is at hand.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
I don't know about supplements but I have to be careful about drinking plain water with anything...City water and spring water makes me feel worse. Distilled water can be really good but I have to be careful about drinking too much or sometimes I get really spacey...I wonder if I'm the only one...

Grapefruit as Remy says has long been know to affect medications..

IrisRV

I always drink filtered water with medicines and supplements. I'm leery of odd interactions I might not know about... better safe than sorry sort of thing. :shifty:

I have a problem with tap water, too. Mostly it upsets my stomach, but sometimes I feel woozy if a drink much. Whatever my filter does seems to clear out whatever is bothering me. My wild guess is chlorine/chloramine. Pool water (being in or near it, not drinking it :p) also makes me feel sick so that's why I'm blaming the chlorine for now. Of course it could be any number of other things -- sulfur, iron, itty bitty 'harmless' bugs, who knows?

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources