What is a True Mast Cell Stabilizer?

Who Me?

I'm having a huge flair, lots of pain, so I've been looking for things to help. I found this research article by Theoharides interesting since he says Quercetin and Luteolin are better stabilizes than gastrocrom.

Here's a snippet

WHAT IS A TRUE “MAST CELL STABILIZER”?

In spite of anecdotal reports and websites such as
http://www.urticare.com/Treatments/Mast+Cell+Stabilisers.html

NEITHER ketotifen nor cromolyn are true mast cell stabilizers as they DO NOT BLOCK inflammatory cytokine release.

Ketotifen IS a histamine-1 receptor antagonist that is also a weak inhibitor of histamine and prostaglandin release through an unknown mechanism. The additional benefit of ketotifen over other antihistamines is that it blocks the actions of eosinophils usually involved in allergies and particularly in eosinophilic esophagitis/gastroenteritis.

Disodium cormoglycate (cromolyn) was thought to be a “mast cell stabilizer” because it blocked rodent mast cells, but is is a very WEAK inhibitor of HUMAN mast cells, and like ketotifen, it inhibits histamine and prostaglandin release to some extent, but NOT inflammatory cytokine release, again through an unknown mechanism.

Please see the papers below that indicate that quercetin is more potent than cromolyn, and another paper using cromolyn cream showing that it block itch (pruritus) by acting on sensory nerve endings and does NOT inhibit skin mast cells. Other papers mentioned below clearly indicate the quercetin and luteolin can block human mast cell release of the most important allergic and inflammatory molecules in response to different allergic and non-immune triggers.

NeuroProtek contains luteolin and quercetin, both of which have been shown to block release of every mediator studies from mast cells. The problem is to get enough of these to be absorbed orally. Nevertheless, NP can be given together with either ketotifen and/or cromolyn to the extent that the latter are helpful in some patients.
http://www.mastcellmaster.com/research.php

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources