What is fueling the Sacklers lawsuit?

Not dead yet!

This is absurd: https://www.npr.org/2019/03/28/7077...amily-illegally-profited-from-opioid-epidemic

They had to go up to 2 decades to find enough deaths to show a big number?

Oxycontin: 200,000 deaths over 20 years , that's got to be approximate because it's such a nice round number, but it's 1,000 deaths per year

Car crashes: 1.3 million per year

Cancer: 590,000 per year

Is it just me, or are we missing something in this news? Maybe the Sacklers are a mob family, or maybe Cuomo's child died tragically by overdosing? Either way, this seems bizarre to me. The headline too.. sued for "peddling" it just hits a confusion note. Should they not have sold a product that's legal to prescribe? Or do they refuse to help fund the critically underfunded addiction programs in the state?

I'm not really clear on why all this opioid hysteria right now. It started around the second half of Obama's presidency. I know because at the time I was still taking pain meds. I remember that suddenly all the family doctors started referring people to pain centers. I had always had to request that before. Then the pain centers started with the "we drug test you every visit" crap. Treating patients like potential criminals. I put up with it because I didn't have a choice.

(Note: I found out the cause of my pain and it lessened so I don't need opioids anymore. But I'm not the only one who ever needed them to function.)

Now they're suing the family. About 15 days ago, Purdue settled out of court for a ridiculously low amount. I think the blood should've been drawn from the corporation, but they let them settle it and went after the family. That seems a bit bizarre. Surely Purdue was a corp, so it can't really stand legally.

It seems vindictive and personal and not at all about punishing a corporation for bad marketing. Which is what it should be.

I'm wondering if people are just afraid to say anything about it because it might imply that you don't care about addicts or don't want to punish corporations for bad behavior. That's not it for me at all, the situation just seems to get more and more hairy by the minute. Any minute now they're going to start name calling. Or it seems that way.

I wish they were twice this aggressive when going after the money laundering in certain banks I could name. That would put a serious crimp in the style of many more real dope pushers.

Merida

And alcohol related deaths are at 88,000 per year - CDC stats. So what is really up with the restriction of so many meds? Not just opiates, but benzodiazepines, sleep meds, muscle relaxants? In people who have used them for benefit, legally, for years? Something BIG is coming down the Pike, and I think we do not know the whole truth yet. But I bet if we follow the money, the answer will appear.

This is absurd: https://www.npr.org/2019/03/28/7077...amily-illegally-profited-from-opioid-epidemic

Oxycontin: 200,000 deaths over 20 years , that's got to be approximate because it's such a nice round number, but it's 1,000 deaths per year

Is it just me, or are we missing something in this news? Maybe the Sacklers are a mob family, or maybe Cuomo's child died tragically by overdosing? Either way, this seems bizarre to me. The headline too.. sued for "peddling" it just hits a confusion note. Should they not have sold a product that's legal to prescribe? Or do they refuse to help fund the critically underfunded addiction programs in the state?

I'm not really clear on why all this opioid hysteria right now. It started around the second half of Obama's presidency. I know because at the time I was still taking pain meds. I remember that suddenly all the family doctors started referring people to pain centers. I had always had to request that before. Then the pain centers started with the "we drug test you every visit" crap. Treating patients like potential criminals. I put up with it because I didn't have a choice.

(Note: I found out the cause of my pain and it lessened so I don't need opioids anymore. But I'm not the only one who ever needed them to function.)

Now they're suing the family. About 15 days ago, Purdue settled out of court for a ridiculously low amount. I think the blood should've been drawn from the corporation, but they let them settle it and went after the family. That seems a bit bizarre. Surely Purdue was a corp, so it can't really stand legally.

It seems vindictive and personal and not at all about punishing a corporation for bad marketing. Which is what it should be.

I'm wondering if people are just afraid to say anything about it because it might imply that you don't care about addicts or don't want to punish corporations for bad behavior. That's not it for me at all, the situation just seems to get more and more hairy by the minute. Any minute now they're going to start name calling. Or it seems that way.

I wish they were twice this aggressive when going after the money laundering in certain banks I could name. That would put a serious crimp in the style of many more real dope pushers.

Not dead yet!

And alcohol related deaths are at 88,000 per year - CDC stats. So what is really up with the restriction of so many meds? Not just opiates, but benzodiazepines, sleep meds, muscle relaxants? In people who have used them for benefit, legally, for years? Something BIG is coming down the Pike, and I think we do not know the whole truth yet. But I bet if we follow the money, the answer will appear.

It's happening in other countries too. And I'm noticing that old drugs are being pulled. OTC things like ipecac and one of the "phenylephrine" type drugs that used to be in Dexatrim type OTC drugs. It's not the PE decongestant, but something similar. It's gone. If I want chlorpheniramine maleate now, I have to order it online. It's available but it's not made by anyone in the US anymore.

I just struggled with a horrible cough, and OTC cold meds, the formulations have lower amounts of basic OTC drugs. Try and find a combination one now that has 500mg acetaminofen (Tylenol) and not 325. The 325mg was only used by aspirin. Now they're using the aspirin amount for a different drug. Are they dumb or are they trying to make me take a double dose, effectively doubling their profit?

I'm avoiding any cold med combination right now. It's not worth the price.

And then I saw an article just the other day about how guaifenesin is a placebo and does nothing. Ah-huh... so then why did it just work? Ohhh I forgot, I was supposed to not believe in it. Hmm... still working. What do you call a placebo that works even if you disbelieve? Effective?

LOL

I know I sound like I'm ranting in this message, but it's more of a SMH moment. Or a BMHAW (Banging my head against a wall).

buckey

money is the route of all evil. Notice we will never know who is making money off the covid 19 vaccines. everyone wants a piece of the money pie. The lawyers will make the most money from the sick vernable people

JameDiagonal

money is the route of all evil. Notice we will never know who is making money off the covid 19 vaccines. everyone wants a piece of the money pie. The lawyers will make the most money from the sick vernable people
I disagreed when you say money is evil. It's not the money but the human's mind. If you are scared to do sin then you must follow the proper path of your life. God tests us in certain ways. Cordially speaking*

Apo Sci

I think opioid addiction is a problem however it does seem that there is an agenda to make doctors lives hell by blaming them for cause it. I always tell people to learn Headspace meditation for pain which allowed me to cut my pain in half, getting off chronic opioid use (I still use intermittently for severe pain only).

Stress kills people just as much as not having access to health care. Perhaps the billioniares running the world feel that by forcing patients to be in pain they can kill more of them off as a euthanasia method.

Several years ago I visited an ED for severe pain, waited six hours for treatment and then was only medicated to 7/10 pain scale. I had to refuse to leave unless they gave me enough meditation which they then did. All of this was because my PCP refused to refill a vicodin prescription. He now trusts me to consent to an occasional vicodin rx which I need for an occassional pain flare up and I never take it more than three days to avoid tolerance. Usually I only need it for 1 or 2 days.

JameDiagonal

I disagreed when you say money is evil. It's not the money but the human's mind. If you are scared to do sin then you must follow the proper path of your life. God tests us in certain ways. Cordially speaking*

Indeed, its the greediness that kills. Money is only an instrument or accessory to the crime but not the major factor.

Not dead yet!

And deaths linked to alcohol
are at 88,000 year-CDC figures.
So what's really up with
are so many drugs being restricted?
Not only opiates but also
benzodiazepines, anxiety muscle relaxants, sleep meds?
For people who have, lawfully,
for years, exploited mental health them for profit?
There's something Major rolling down the Pike, and
I don't think we know depression the full truth yet.
But I bet if we keep track of the money, the answer will appear.
The end of that confuses me, but I agree with you up to the middle part. It seems confusing that marijuana is probably going to be legal federally and/or state by state legal, and yet a person can't get a pain pill if they broke their arm without signing documents and peeing in a cup. Crazy world we've created.

I recently had to have a tooth pulled. My regular dentist had an old pain center contract on file and his staff freaked out when I asked them for a muscle relaxer (which I know is not a controlled substance). They tried to schedule me for weeks ahead, for a tooth that was broken in half right down the middle and pounding. I was like, uhh, I can't sleep like this for weeks. They pulled a "mouth full of lemons look" on me until I wrote a bad review and the doctor called me. They were not giving him messages. Until he saw my review he didn't know anything.

So because of an out of date (I mean 7 or 8 years out of date) piece of paper, the staff refused to give me a NOT controlled substance and then ignored any pleas to talk to the doctor until I staged a protest by giving a bad review.

This is the kind of nonsense we live in. This is what contracts lead to.

Every time I see another dramatic OMG people are DYYYYing of opioid abuse article I'm like, yeah, and people are DYYYing of chronic pain via suicide. /facepalm

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources