widespread pain and altered renal function in ME/CFS

bobby

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/21641846.2016.1207400?journalCode=rftg20&

DOI:10.1080/21641846.2016.1207400
Neil R. McGregora*, Christopher W. Armstrongb, Donald P. Lewisc, Henry L. Buttd & Paul R. Gooleyb

Received: 24 Apr 2016
Accepted: 24 Jun 2016
Published online: 29 Jul 2016
Background: Widespread pain is noted in many patients with chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia and temporomandibular disorders. These conditions usually start as a localized condition and spread to a widespread pain condition with increasing illness duration.

Purpose: To aim was to assess the changes in biochemistry associated with pain expression and alterations in renal function.

Methods: Forty-seven ME/CFS patients and age/sex-matched controls had a clinical examination, completed questionnaires, standard serum biochemistry, glucose tolerance tests and serum and urine metabolomes in an observational study.

Results: Increases in pain distribution were associated with reductions in serum essential amino acids, urea, serum sodium and increases in serum glucose and the 24-hour urine volume; however the biochemistry was different for each pain area. Regression modelling revealed potential acetylation and methylation defects in the pain subjects.

Conclusions: These findings confirm and extend our earlier findings. These changes appear consistent with repeated minor inflammatory-mediated alterations in kidney function resulting in essential amino acid deprivation and inhibition of protein synthesis and genetic translation within tissues.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
that's interesting....

I wonder if this ties in with the blood volume issues; i.e. the reductions in serum sodium...and increased 24 hour urine volume...plus there's the glucose issue - which suggest metabolism. Ron Davis said ME/CFS could be a metabolic not a neurological disorder and end up in the The National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK) with diabetes instead of the neurological institutes (NINDS). Wouldn't that be wild....:)

Increases in pain distribution were associated with reductions in serum essential amino acids, urea, serum sodium and increases in serum glucose and the 24-hour urine volume; however the biochemistry was different for each pain area. Regression modelling revealed potential acetylation and methylation defects in the pain subjects.

bobby

Ron Davis said ME/CFS could be a metabolic not a neurological disorder and end up in the The National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK) with diabetes instead of the neurological institutes (NINDS). Wouldn't that be wild....
you got me thinking about this... but isn't renal/bladder function caused by autonomic nervous system dysfunction, just like pretty much every other symptom we have? or do you think the autonomic nervous system dysfunction is caused by a systemic metabolic problem?

Edie

that's interesting....

I wonder if this ties in with the blood volume issues; i.e. the reductions in serum sodium...and increased 24 hour urine volume...plus there's the glucose issue - which suggest metabolism. Ron Davis said ME/CFS could be a metabolic not a neurological disorder and end up in the The National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK) with diabetes instead of the neurological institutes (NINDS). Wouldn't that be wild....:)
Amino Acid replacement therapy is the #1 treatment that gave me my life back and also Mike Dessin's. When Mike's story appeared on health rising. he talked about the intervenes medication the Doctor had him on. In the comment section I asked him if it was Amino Acids and he said yes.! I cannot digest my food, especially protein (synthesis). Replacing my missing Amino Acids (a compounded prescription) every day has given me back most of my health. To test for amino acid status, is only a 24 hour urine collection which was then couriered to a lab called DOCTOR'S DATA. When the extensive results came back, enclosed was the exact replacements of amino acids I required. My Naturopath Doctor then had the prescription filled by a compounding pharmacy. Doctor's Data website has the information needed for anyone who is interested in this therapy. I also have to take a quality digestive enzyme such as Panplex 2 phase with every meal.
I believe that my FM illness definitely has a metabolic component to it, but that may not be the total answer.

Last edited:

Merida

@bobby
Thanks for posting this article. I have observed over and over that lifting something too heavy ( like grandkids!) or over stressing my neck sets of extreme urinary frequency and volume, extreme thirst, pain, extreme sweating. These symptoms ( and many other autonomic symptoms) began right after the injury that changed my life. So, I am inclined to think the autonomic system dysfunction is causing symptoms.

But is our group more sensitive because of some underlying metabolic/ hormonal issue? Have an article discussing the study results that estrogen influences autonomic reactivity. "Nevertheless, the present results suggest that the circulatory effects of estrogen may operate via BP control mechanisms in postmenopausal women."
Hormone replacement reinstated normal BP reactivity to stress in a higher risk of postmenopausal women.
( McCubbin JA. et al. Blood pressure control and hormone replacement therapy in postmenopausal women at risk for coronary heart disease. Am Heart K. 2002;143(4)

@Edie
Very interesting. We just seem different in many ways.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Amino Acid replacement therapy is the #1 treatment that gave me my life back and also Mike Dessin's. When Mike's story appeared on health rising. he talked about the intervenes medication the Doctor had him on. In the comment section I asked him if it was Amino Acids and he said yes.! I cannot digest my food, especially protein (synthesis). Replacing my missing Amino Acids (a compounded prescription) every day has given me back most of my health. To test for amino acid status, is only a 24 hour urine collection which was then couriered to a lab called DOCTOR'S DATA. When the extensive results came back, enclosed was the exact replacements of amino acids I required. My Naturopath Doctor then had the prescription filled by a compounding pharmacy. Doctor's Data website has the information needed for anyone who is interested in this therapy. I also have to take a quality digestive enzyme such as Panplex 2 phase with every meal.
I believe that my FM illness definitely has a metabolic component to it, but that may not be the total answer.
That sounds like what Ron Davis is doing except on a much more detailed level at Stanford.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources