Drug Xifaxin and other Drug FDA Approved to treat Diarrhea in IBS

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Given how expensive Xifaxin is ( Sixty tablets are about $1,700). It’s expected to be covered by insurance to treat IBS-D, a spokeswoman for Valeant Pharmaceuticals International, which owns Salix.

Natural options may be better though (See Siebeckers SIBO site). One person experienced remarkable improvement in her ME/CFS symptoms on Xifaxin. Check out her story here:
From the Gut to the Brain: Esther’s Amazing Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Xifaxin Story

May 28, 2015 -- The FDA has approved two new prescription medications to treat irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea, or IBS-D. It’s the latest step in a years-long struggle to find safe and effective treatments for the condition.

“I think patients with IBS should be very excited to have more options,” says Lawrence Schiller, MD, program director of the gastroenterology fellowship at Baylor University Medical Center. “Neither drug is a miracle, but they are both likely to be helpful for some patients.”

The two medications are Viberzi (eluxadoline) and Xifaxan (rifaximin). Viberzi helps you have fewer bowel contractions, which leads to less diarrhea. Xifaxan is an antibiotic that’s thought to work by changing your gut bacteria and reducing diarrhea.

San Diego

I just got my Medicare Drug supplement plan info for 2017. Looks like neither Xifaxan nor Cromolyn Sodium are covered any longer.

Just when you find meds that help....... To Canada and beyond!

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources