Patient Story
Name
Joey
Diagnosis
  1. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Other diagnoses
infectious mononucleosis
Disease Course Over Time
Joey was working 60 hours a week when he became ill while doing a 17 mile Half Dome hike at Yosemite. He became bed-ridden and was diagnosed with infectious mononucleosis. He remained in very poor physical shape (unable to exercise, stand for short periods, read for long, etc.) for 6 years while spending over $200,000 on treatments.

His breakthrough came around 2012 when after practicing extreme mold avoidance (getting new clothes, living out in desert) he found he was able to hike and exercise vigorously again.

Some issues did remain but Joey's recovery was remarkable. It's not clear what his health is now.
Mold Avoidance Approaches That Made A Difference
  1. Camp for an extended period of time to decrease exposures to toxins.
  2. Use personal reactions to avoid locations, buildings or objects that trigger problematic responses.
  3. Use decontamination (such as showering and washing clothes) after exposure to problematic environments.
  4. Take care to stay out of moldy buildings.
  5. Do a “sabbatical” in a good environment to get unmasked and thus to become better able to identify environmental mold toxins.
  6. Put aside or discard some or all belongings exposed to a problematic environment.
  7. Take particular care to make sure living environment is free of problematic chemicals
  8. Move from a home with a mold/chemical issues to a different home.
  9. Move to a trailer/van/portable home
Type of Onset
acute flu-like
Approximate Date of Illness Began
2006-2010
Functionality at it's Worst
Mostly homebound
Symptoms
Fever, extreme fatigue, post-exertional malaise, orthostatic intolerance, chemical sensitivities, extreme mold sensitivity, headaches, poor sleep, difficulty reading
Treatments That Made A Big Difference
Extreme mold avoidance, camping outside in desert, creating mold-free environment in cargo trailer - http://paradigmchange.me/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Toxin-Free-Home-for-7000.pdf
Treatments That Helped
benzodiazepines for sleep
Treatments That Had No Effect
Many, many treatments from prominent ME/CFS/FM doctors
Present State of Health
  1. Story taken from web - unable to tell
Suggested Resources
Joey describes how he build his $7,000 mold-free "home" - http://paradigmchange.me/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Toxin-Free-Home-for-7000.pdf
Joey's breakthrough came around 2012 when after practicing extreme mold avoidance (getting new clothes, living out in desert) he found, to his shock and delight, he was able to hike and exercise vigorously again.

Eventually Joey built a mold-free home out of a cargo trailer.

Some issues did remain but Joey's recovery was remarkable. He began HealClick - a website which sought to help ME/CFS and other patients find helpful treatments.

It's not clear what his health is now.
Author
Cort
Views
First release
Last update
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

More resources from Cort

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work