Activin B is a novel biomarker for CFS/ME diagnosis

Discussion in 'Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) Research' started by Remy, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Remy

Remy Administrator

https://translational-medicine.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12967-017-1161-4

Kathryn 1 likes this.
  2. IrisRV

IrisRV Well-Known Member

Fascinating! I will have to look up activins. I currently know nothing about them. I can't access the article at the moment and am impatient to know who the authors are. I'm always curious about whether a research group has a genuine sample set of ME/CFS patients. That they used (or tried to use) the CCC is encouraging in that respect.

I see they are proposing that activin B vs activin A levels as a biomarker. I'm looking forward to finding out whether this new knowledge might lead to a treatment path or if it is strictly a test.

Remy likes this.
  3. Remy

Remy Administrator

I think I saved the article. Let me know if you want it emailed.

IrisRV likes this.
  4. Kathryn 1

Kathryn 1 @Copyright 2017 Kathryn 1. All rights reserved

Remy and IrisRV like this.
  5. IrisRV

IrisRV Well-Known Member

This one gives me a good start. Now I have to figure out how activin A and activin B are different. If activin B is largely a marker for inflammation, it may not be a unique marker for ME/CFS. It does not appear they used patients with other inflammatory illnesses as a control yet.

There appears to be a temporary glitch preventing me from accessing the whole article. If I can't get at it today or tomorrow, I'll ask you to email it to me @Remy. The more detailed report may answer some of my questions.

So far, this sounds very promising!

Remy likes this.