Activin B is a novel biomarker for CFS/ME diagnosis

Remy

Administrator
Background

Investigations of activin family proteins as serum biomarkers for chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME). CFS/ME is a disease with complex, wide-ranging symptoms, featuring persistent fatigue of 6 months or longer, particularly post exertion. No definitive biomarkers are available.
Methods

A cross-sectional, observational study of CFS/ME patients fulfilling the 2003 Canadian Consensus Criteria, in parallel with healthy non-fatigued controls, was conducted. Comparisons with a previously defined activin reference population were also performed. For the total study cohort the age range was 18–65 years with a female: male participant ratio of greater than 3:1. All participants were assessed via a primary care community clinic. Blood samples were collected for pathology testing after physical examination and orthostatic intolerance assessment. Cytokines, activin A, activin B and follistatin were also measured in sera from these samples. All data were compared between the CFS/ME and control cohorts, with the activins and follistatin also compared with previously defined reference intervals.
Results

Serum activin B levels for CFS/ME participants were significantly elevated when compared to the study controls, as well as the established reference interval. Serum activin A and follistatin were within their normal ranges. All routine and special pathology markers were within the normal laboratory reference intervals for the total study cohort, with no significant differences detected between CFS/ME and control groups. Also, no significant differences were detected for IL-2, IL-4, IL-6, IL-10, IL-17A, TNF or IFN-gamma.
Conclusion

Elevated activin B levels together with normal activin A levels identified patients with the diagnostic symptoms of CFS/ME, thus providing a novel serum based test. The activins have multiple physiological roles and capture the diverse array of symptoms experienced by CFS/ME patients.

https://translational-medicine.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12967-017-1161-4

IrisRV

Fascinating! I will have to look up activins. I currently know nothing about them. I can't access the article at the moment and am impatient to know who the authors are. I'm always curious about whether a research group has a genuine sample set of ME/CFS patients. That they used (or tried to use) the CCC is encouraging in that respect.

I see they are proposing that activin B vs activin A levels as a biomarker. I'm looking forward to finding out whether this new knowledge might lead to a treatment path or if it is strictly a test.

Remy

Administrator
Fascinating! I will have to look up activins. I currently know nothing about them. I can't access the article at the moment and am impatient to know who the authors are. I'm always curious about whether a research group has a genuine sample set of ME/CFS patients. That they used (or tried to use) the CCC is encouraging in that respect.

I see they are proposing that activin B vs activin A levels as a biomarker. I'm looking forward to finding out whether this new knowledge might lead to a treatment path or if it is strictly a test.
I think I saved the article. Let me know if you want it emailed.

IrisRV

This one gives me a good start. Now I have to figure out how activin A and activin B are different. If activin B is largely a marker for inflammation, it may not be a unique marker for ME/CFS. It does not appear they used patients with other inflammatory illnesses as a control yet.

There appears to be a temporary glitch preventing me from accessing the whole article. If I can't get at it today or tomorrow, I'll ask you to email it to me @Remy. The more detailed report may answer some of my questions.

So far, this sounds very promising!

shira

I take follistatin and before reading this I found it to be beneficial
to my muscles when doing mild exercise. After a yr on it I developed an adverse reaction where I got a lump and swelling at the injection site. After waiting over 6 mos I am able to take it again. I get it from a holistic/western md. Wondering if anyone else has used it.? I have had me/cfs for 30 years and use alot of chinese herbs, acupuncture & other things to be able to function.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources