Poll Alcohol: How Well Do You Tolerate It?

How well do you tolerate alcohol

• Fine! No problem

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Moderately well

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Somewhat well

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Somewhat poorly

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Quite poorly

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • Really poorly - like poison to my system

Votes: 17 36.2%

• Total voters

Claudia Goodell

Claudia, I have histamine intolerance and have tried the DAO supplements - they are very expensive (given how many you'd need to take) and actually had no effect on me. However, I have been trying the Pea Sprouts method of obtaining DAO and seem to be having some success (as measured by how puffy and black my eyes are, or not - and they can get REALLY bruised-looking): http://www.allergynutrition.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Pea-seedlings-as-a-supplement.pdf
Basically, sprout peas in the dark for 10 days and chew the sprouts thoroughly, to access the DAO that it creates.
Penelope Else thank you for this information and details. After reading about DAO I decided it didn't sound so promising and it is costly, so this is a viable option. My eyes almost always have dark circles under them, and today they are especially bad (spring in New Mexico is rough). I will read this. Thanks again, Claudia

Seeksassy

I'm not sure. The whole time I had FMS alcohol was my best medicine. 80% less pain while "on it". And normally I would drink a lot, and could tolerate like health people (or more). But from time to time I would get an abdnormal flush in my face and chest while drinking, never understood that.

Now after developing CFS like symptoms I'm not sure... I've tried twice with no problem but it's been 4 months since I don't try it.
My fibro self did well with alcohol, and it helped both fibro pain and my crps. My go to was red wine but I could drink anything. Since developing cf tho, just the idea of drinking alcohol usually makes me feel ill. This was so weird that I have tried drinking and I'm ok except for red wine. Guess it's not a bad thing...tho I do miss red wine.

Seeksassy

I'm not sure. The whole time I had FMS alcohol was my best medicine. 80% less pain while "on it". And normally I would drink a lot, and could tolerate like health people (or more). But from time to time I would get an abdnormal flush in my face and chest while drinking, never understood that.

Now after developing CFS like symptoms I'm not sure... I've tried twice with no problem but it's been 4 months since I don't try it.
My fibro self did well with alcohol, helped that pain and crps. Red wine was my go to, but since CFS appeared 3-4 years ago I don't want to drink!!! Weird, so I have of course tried anyway and I'm fine with anything but red wine and very rarely drink any alcohol now.

Seeksassy

My fibro self did well with alcohol, helped that pain and crps. Red wine was my go to, but since CFS appeared 3-4 years ago I don't want to drink!!! Weird, so I have of course tried anyway and I'm fine with anything but red wine and very rarely drink any alcohol now.
Feeling a little drunk right now with posting-lol-Keep posting blanks or duplicates!! Not sure if it's me or a technical problem

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
For me it can really vary. I seem to tolerate cider the best, and usually do ok with tequila or scotch, maybe 4 drinks a month. Red wine and beer are the worst. Sometimes I can even tolerate those without a problem, sometimes even my safe drinks will trigger immediate allergy symptoms or pain/fatigue the next day. I try to avoid alcohol most of the time, and when I'm having an active flair I absolutely avoid it.
Ha! I do better with wine than cider and probably better than beer than cider - it's unfortunate because I really like cider! I don't do as well with red wine though.
I do better with hard liquor than anything...

ShyestofFlies

Alcohol is basically poison to my body, I tried one hard lemonade at 16, one at 18, some passover wine at 21, and two varieties of beer since. I cannot tolerate the smell or taste of any alcohol, but when I did power through with the hard lemonades I felt so sick. Worst migraine of my life within a few hours... And I sipped the bottle, took it with a meal... I think I had to give half the bottle to mom my reaction was so poor.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources