Another Weird One: Night Sweats Prompted By Strawberries

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
One of my most inexplicable symptoms is night sweats after I would drink fruit and protein shakes at night. I would wake up drenched. Except for one other time in my life it's the only time I've had night sweats....and it happens just about every time....

I may be getting closer to the reason. I've been putting strawberries in my cereal (I eat cereal at night not in the morning) and felt a little dampness recently but then last night after dumping some in my night sweats were back. So it's at least strawberries that are doing it.

When I get some other fruit I will experiment.

I wonder what it is about strawberries though?

Cort

Staff member
What I was thinking...Don't know how much is in strawberries, though.

Who Me?

I've found it doesn't matter now much. Some foods that should be fine cause me a horrible reaction. Remy had the same thing. Some things just cause a reaction

Try some quercetin. Really helps with histamine for me but doesn't stop it if I eat something really bad. Like raisins.

You'll just have to experiment.

Issie

@Cort with MCAS there can be a reaction one time and not another. Some foods are more histamine causing. But with MCAS there is no true allergy. It's an over reaction of the mast cells. Try doing an elimination diet and rotate every 4 to 5 days. You can eat as much of what is chosen one day but not again until the 4th day. It's better to go longer in between then you can really tell. If you think it's strawberries eat a bunch that day and none again for awhile. If it's a true allergy it should show up. If it's mast cell, it's unpredictable. (FYI, strawberries are always a trigger for me.)

Hot flashes and sweats can be connected to a mast cell degranulation. And they are miserable.

Issie

Seven

FYI I get the same sign as food intolerance, Mine is Honey Nut Cherios, if I eat HNCherios before bed I get night sweats. After I had the food test all the foods happen to match (so food allergy gave me night sweats). I don't eat strawberries or banana or any of the high histamine fruits.

Cort

Staff member
@Cort with MCAS there can be a reaction one time and not another. Some foods are more histamine causing. But with MCAS there is no true allergy. It's an over reaction of the mast cells. Try doing an elimination diet and rotate every 4 to 5 days. You can eat as much of what is chosen one day but not again until the 4th day. It's better to go longer in between then you can really tell. If you think it's strawberries eat a bunch that day and none again for awhile. If it's a true allergy it should show up. If it's mast cell, it's unpredictable. (FYI, strawberries are always a trigger for me.)

Hot flashes and sweats can be connected to a mast cell degranulation. And they are miserable.

Issie
The old elimination diet. That was suggested to me 30 years ago and it be honest I never really did one! I think I
've been quite a few strawberries and they caught up to me. Thanks for the reminder on the elimination diet :)

I notice that I can drink kefir just fine and it seems to help if I do it itermittently. Same with tomatoes. eating too many of them causes knee pain.

Cort

Staff member
FYI I get the same sign as food intolerance, Mine is Honey Nut Cherios, if I eat HNCherios before bed I get night sweats. After I had the food test all the foods happen to match (so food allergy gave me night sweats). I don't eat strawberries or banana or any of the high histamine fruits.
I've been eating bananas lately as well.....I don't usually do that - interesting.

Edie

I've been eating bananas lately as well.....I don't usually do that - interesting.
I was watching a Dr Oz segment a couple of days ago. The subject was about fruit and they rated them on their chemical toxicity. Guess which one was #1, Yes, it's strawberries and if I remember correctly, they found 17 different agricultural chemical residues in them and on them!. Trying organic ones may answer the question as to what is bothering us, the strawberries or the chemicals.

Cort

Staff member
I was watching a Dr Oz segment a couple of days ago. The subject was about fruit and they rated them on their chemical toxicity. Guess which one was #1, Yes, it's strawberries and if I remember correctly, they found 17 different agricultural chemical residues in them and on them!. Trying organic ones may answer the question as to what is bothering us, the strawberries or the chemicals.
Thankfully I used organic strawberries but I remember that from way back - strawberries are loaded with chemicals!

Who Me?

Thankfully I used organic strawberries but I remember that from way back - strawberries are loaded with chemicals!
Also things that grow in the ground can be susceptible to mold. I'm not sure about strawberries but I know peanuts are bad.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources