• Yes, for allergies/mast cell issues.

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Yes, for improving leaky gut.

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • No.

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters

Veet

@Veet. I've been looking at neuroprotek since seeing the videos from the doc.

I may not have typical mast cell but i sure do wonder if something is going on in my brain.

I noticed there are 2 types of neuroprotek. One is low phenol. Do you know the difference (sorry if I've asked you) and how do you know which to get? Is it one capsule per day?

Like you I try not to get combos but there is a specific reason he has all 3 things in it.

Just saw one cap per 44 lbs. yikes.
I never used the amount specified. I had good results with 1 cap, probably used 1 AM/PM for most of the time I used it.

Low phenol is something autistic kids often need. I don't know anything about it. Someone in another forum had started using another luteolin formula, from another company, and I don't think he got such great results. That doesn't mean much. But I appreciated and trusted Theoharides' approach as a pharmacologist. Doesn't hurt that he seems to be an exceptionally nice and decent human being.

I'm pretty sure I started using it before I really understood my my issues. I became aware, after extensive progress w/ nutrients and detox, that my mental chatter was overwhelming, and not within my control. I found NP could have me back to sleep within 15 minutes of taking it on those occasions I found myself lying awake in the night.

Who Me?

Thanks @Veet I've been looking at quercetin and rutin to buy separately because like you, I don't like getting stuff in combo packs. I found Nutricology has a Quercetin bioflavinoids that i was looking at but I wasn't sure about the other stuff in it. So now I have to decide about the low phenol. See if I can find out what it does or helps with. Should be somewhere. Thanks for the help. Boy if this calms my brain down I'll buy you a bottle of champagne!

http://www.amazon.com/Nutricology-Q...0928673&sr=8-2&keywords=nutricology+quercetin

Remy

Administrator
So now I have to decide about the low phenol.
I don't think the phenols are usually a problem for adults...it's more for autistic kids as I remember. It's something to do with lacking the enzyme to break down phenols and I doubt you are deficient in that enzyme. The original product is more potent.

Who Me?

I just found this @Remy So I'm thinking I need the original since it helps more with absorption.

NeuroProtek LP® is an unique all natural oral dietary supplement in a soft gel capsule containing lower amounts of Quercetin and Rutin, than the Original NeuroProtek formula, making it lower in phenols.

NeuroProtek LP® is formulated to maximize affects of flavonoids while also overcoming any absorption obstacles. NeuroProtek LP® is free of the following allergens: artificial colors or dyes, flavors or sweeteners, corn, eggs, fish, heavy metals, milk/casein, peanuts, preservatives, salt, shellfish, starch, sugar, tree nuts, wheat/gluten and yeast. Our ingredients are not obtained from beef or beef by-products. Luteolin (> 95% Pure) is a nutrient from a class of naturally occurring molecules known as bioflavonoids. Quercetin ( > 95% Pure)is a natural non-acidic flavanoid. Rutin (> 95% Pure) is a glycoside of the flavonoid Quercetin and is a non-acidic natural flavonoid that adds additional anti-oxidant qualities. Rutin helps liberate quercetin in the intestine, making absorption easier. Olive Kernel Oil (Unprocessed, MicroFiltered) is a natural, potent low-acidic anti-oxidant. This unique oil (a lipid) plays an important role in NeuroProtek® as it is used to increase the absorbability of flavonoids. While some results can be see immediately it may take 6 months before measurable results are observed .

Remy

Administrator
I just found this @Remy So I'm thinking I need the original since it helps more with absorption.

NeuroProtek LP® is an unique all natural oral dietary supplement in a soft gel capsule containing lower amounts of Quercetin and Rutin, than the Original NeuroProtek formula, making it lower in phenols.
I agree. Get the original, not the LP.

Who Me?

@Remy interesting stuff on autism threads. Mom's talking about kids getting really amped up along with raging yeast.

The guy who developed the lutimax said it is the rutin that causes most of the side effects, I think because it works on dopamine.

"The other thing that might be happening with Lutimax, is that Luteolin is a phyto-estrogen and increased estrogen inhibits MAO-A and can cause excitotoxicity."

There is convo about Neuroprotek coming out with one that is mostly Lutein. So I need to look into this more.

Here's where I'm reading.

http://www.autismweb.com/forum/view...sid=233195197261ff9ea253e3346c684ec4&start=20

Last edited:

Remy

Administrator
Wish this was cheaper

http://www.lifeextensionvitamins.com/lutimax-pediatric-powder-30-grams.html

I just saw this on an autism board about this

I give it with No Phenol because it supposed to be very phenolic and it has stirred up yeast big time

So this could be a problem? Anyone?
Phenols are literally everywhere. They are in most all plants. Yeast are happy to eat anything you provide them apparently...glucose, ketones, phenols. I would not worry about this at all. As long as you can break down the phenols by having the appropriate enzyme (which you do or you would be having phenol sensitivity reactions to everything) it is not a problem in my opinion.

Who Me?

Well, I just bought Luteolin complex from Swanson. They have a 20% off special and 99¢ shipping on orders over $20 so I bought 2 bottles (30 each) and a bottle of Rutin tablets ($3.00) that I can cut to get a lower dose.

So this will be a good test for me to start. I'll be cured!! :beaver:

How do you know if you have the enzymes to for phenol?

Who Me?

I've been taking 125 mgs rutin for a few days and it is absolutely helping. I noticed the first day after the nausea and headache stopped. (That lasted 2 days)

I just feel "better". More energy and little clearer. I just read it's supposed to be taken on an empty stomach so I'll switch to that and increase the dose.

I did not notice anything from 100 mgs luteolin.

ankaa

Just a wee bit. ;) But it's mostly gone now. It took a couple of weeks though and I tried to time taking the AH around when I would be OK with a nap.

I thought that ketotifen caused massive weight gain?? I skipped it for that reason... Interesting that the study above was w obese patients

Remy

Administrator
I thought that ketotifen caused massive weight gain?? I skipped it for that reason... Interesting that the study above was w obese patients
I think it depends, just like with most drugs.

I think a lot of us with MECFS have metabolic problems that get attributed to drugs sometimes too. If you're in the weight gaining subset, everything short of water will probably contribute to weight gain unfortunately.

ankaa

I think it depends, just like with most drugs.

I think a lot of us with MECFS have metabolic problems that get attributed to drugs sometimes too. If you're in the weight gaining subset, everything short of water will probably contribute to weight gain unfortunately.

Yes, as soon as I started having CFS symptoms, my metabolism changed... I've always thought that whatever this is - it's a metabolic problem - or linked to a metabolic problem.. I'm hypothyroid, but my thyroid is not the only problem

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources