• Nightime

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • No time that I can tell!

Votes: 2 3.1%

• Total voters

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Yeah we are supposed to be waking up , having a boost of cortisol and tapering down at night. But that extra evening boost has us up tesearching, learning and for sure not sleeping. Here's an article that says how it should be.

http://adrenalfatiguesolution.com/cortisol-levels-change-throughout-day/
Cortisol levels are generally high in the morning as we wake from a prolonged period of sleep, with an increase of up to fifty percent in the twenty to thirty minutes after waking. This is known as the ‘cortisol awakening response’. Then, as the day progresses, our cortisol levels naturally begin to drop in a fairly constant and regular fashion that is termed a diurnal rhythm, ending up as low in the late evening. This allows the body to keep a regular sleeping pattern, with the cortisol level dropping for periods of sleep, then replenishing during the following morning

Issie.
Thanks!

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Here's from John Falk - a person with severe ME/CFS who is measuring his HRV and other factors. He can measure his lower energy in the AM and the increase he sees later in the day.

https://www.omegawave.com/2016/04/12/push-crash-breaking-the-cycle-in-chronic-fatigue-syndrome/

JF: Heart rate variability is universally disturbed in patients with CFS, usually manifesting as Sympathetic Dominance. Therefore, all cardiac system measurements are extremely valuable. I find stress, adaptation reserves, and recovery pattern the most useful as they are my best guides so I don’t overburden my body with exertion, whether physical, mental, or even emotional.

I take my measurements each morning, which are invariably low (Overall Readiness score of 1 or 2). Then, I also take a measurement at night before going to bed. If I’ve used the day wisely, my scores are—paradoxically—much higher at night than in the morning.

ShyestofFlies

I have been a night owl since I became a teenager, before then no clue. But sometime around my teens if given the opertunity through lack of schedule my sleep schedule is almost guarenteed to flip. Like this past week. I have had no schedule since before getting CFS and had been doing the best in my entire life of not flipping to sleep during the day and awake at night, until last week when a new symptom (urinary retention) appeared and caused problems. I always attributed my being a night owl as a sign of being an introvert or to my unique sleeping problem (hallucinagenic sleep paralysis), but it is interesting to hear some others are night owls also.

I am in the situation where no matter what I am equally exhausted or so it seems, though am dependant on adequate amounts of sleep. So staying up late I feel just as bad as that morning and the morning after I sleep a full 7-10 hours. Yeah.

Chriseraphim

1000% night owl! Even before CFS in high school I used to love staying up and being creative until 2-3am but morning time never was great. I could get moving though. Since CFS always without fail felt the worst in the morning. Always weaker, tireder, more sensitive, more POTS, more difficult breathing etc. As the day goes on it gets better, and often after several sleeps I'll be the total best in the late night between say 11pm and 4-5am. Im always the most awake, able to think and do things at that time. Pretty much total day night reversal. I think for alot of us (definitely for me), it's the body struggling to work properly and all it's functions are delayed. Hence for many the chemistry 'comes online' so to speak later in the day or at night rather than straight away in the morning. I've found accross talking to people for 16 years this is more common than patients being morning people!

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources