Aspartame Can Cause Fibromyalgia!

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Add aspartame to the list of FM triggers. It probably doesn't happen very often but it appears that it can. More incentive to eat as natural a diet as possible. I am looking forward to the day when they don't allow antibiotics in any meat!

Ciappuccini R, Ansemant T, Maillefert JF, Tavernier C, Ornetti P. Aspartame-induced fibromyalgia, an unusual but curable cause of chronic pain. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2010 Nov-Dec;28 (6 Suppl 63):S131-3. Epub 201

We report for the first time an unusual musculoskeletal adverse effect of aspartame in two patients.

A 50-year-old woman had been suffering from widespread pain and fatigue for more than 10 years leading to the diagnosis of fibromyalgia. During a vacation in a foreign country, she did not suffer from painful symptoms since she had forgotten to take her aspartame. All of the symptoms reappeared in the days following her return when she reintroduced aspartame into her daily diet. Thus, aspartame was definitively excluded from her diet, resulting in a complete regression of the fibromyalgia symptoms.

A 43-year-old man consulted for a 3-year history of bilateral forearm, wrist, and hand and cervical pain with various unsuccessful treatments. A detailed questioning allowed to find out that he had been taking aspartame for three years. The removal of aspartame was followed by a complete regression of pain, without recurrence.

We believe that these patients' chronic pain was due to the ingestion of aspartame, a potent flavouring agent, widely used in food as a calorie-saver. The benefit/risk ratio of considering the diagnosis of aspartame-induced chronic pain is obvious: the potential benefit is to cure a disabling chronic disease, to spare numerous laboratory and imaging investigations, and to avoid potentially harmful therapies; the potential risk is to temporarily change the patient's diet.

Thus, practitioners should ask patients suffering from fibromyalgia about their intake of aspartame. In some cases, this simple question might lead to the resolution of a disabling chronic disease.
Source:

Merry

I recall that years ago when someone offered one of my brothers a diet soft drink, he said no to it with the explanation that aspartame gives him a headache.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
I recall that years ago when someone offered one of my brothers a diet soft drink, he said no to it with the explanation that aspartame gives him a headache.
I cannot handle the stuff at all. My dad, on the other hand, used an artificial sweetener on just about everything - salads, vegies, etc. - for decades. He must have the constitution of an ox. Actually he does - he's in his upper 80's now. Still hanging in there.

I should mention that other than that weirdness he had a great diet - lots of vegies and salads always.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources