'Calcium channels play a role in neuronal homeostasis and elimination of toxic buildup of proteins'

Discussion in 'Other Research' started by Remy, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Remy

Remy Administrator

There is no way that this mechanism is not also somehow implicated in MECFS (in my opinion!).

Autophagy, mitophagy...none of these cleanup processes seem to work properly in our population.

Is this study a big clue as to why?

"Proteins hang around, literally gumming up the works and preventing neurons from doing their job."

2. Issie

Issie Well-Known Member

I think so too. Having GastroCrom, which is not only a mast cell stablizer but a mild calcium channel blocker had helped not only my MCAS but POTS too.
    Also calcium (along with iron and magnesium) is thought to play a part in issues with Lyme disease - which is being found more and more in people with these issues.
    Issie

3. bobby

bobby Well-Known Member

a lot of talk about calcium channels lately... it sounds plausible, doesn't it? thanks for posting @Remy !

4. Maybe someone with more knowledge could look at this.

FROM: "domain proteins specialize functionally distinct ER-PM contact sites in human cells" - February 2018.
    Besprozvannaya M1, Dickson E2, Li H3, Ginburg KS4, Bers DM4, Auwerx J3, Nunnari J1.
    Author information
    "Abstract
    ---- Data from an analysis of cells lacking GRAMD2a suggest that it is an organizer of ER-PM MCSs with pleiotropic functions including calcium homeostasis. Thus, our data demonstrate the existence of multiple ER-PM domains in human cells that are functionally specialized by GRAM-domain containing proteins."

From Vega et al: Epigenetic modifications and glucocorticoid sensitivity in ME/CFS. BMC Medical Genomics, 2017:
    "The top 5 differentially methylated regions based on R2 are shown in Table 5, and corresponded to TSS methylation in GRAMD1A".

I came across this on the "Follow ME in Denmark" website. However, they were asking "Is GRAMD1A involved in the dysregulated sterol and sphingolipid homeostasis in ME patients?" I.e. rather than looking at calcium homeostasis.

5. nanobug

nanobug Member

BTW, inhibiting mTOR is probably the easiest way to enhance autophagy. This can be done with rapamycin but the highlight of my day, yesterday, was finding out that (drum roll please!) dichloroacetate also appears to inhibit mTOR. Do a search on Pubmed for "dichloroacetate mTOR" and you'll find at least four papers describing this effect.

Remy likes this.