Cannabidiol Alleviates Anxiety.

Remy

Administrator
More research on the benefits of CBD/cannabidiol coming out.

Cannabidiol looks to be an inhibitor of anandamide deactivation, similar to low dose amisulpride that @Hip has written about in the past, but with much fewer side effects. Plus it's a supplement whereas amisupride is an rx...another reason to be vigilant about the DEA's attempts to regulate CBD out of availability).

Boosting levels of anandamide looks to be helpful in PTSD and general anxiety states as well as in psychosis.

http://www.nature.com/tp/journal/v2/n3/full/tp201215a.html

Cannabidiol is a component of marijuana that does not activate cannabinoid receptors, but moderately inhibits the degradation of the endocannabinoid anandamide.

We previously reported that an elevation of anandamide levels in cerebrospinal fluid inversely correlated to psychotic symptoms.

Furthermore, enhanced anandamide signaling let to a lower transition rate from initial prodromal states into frank psychosis as well as postponed transition.

In our translational approach, we performed a double-blind, randomized clinical trial of cannabidiol vs amisulpride, a potent antipsychotic, in acute schizophrenia to evaluate the clinical relevance of our initial findings. Either treatment was safe and led to significant clinical improvement, but cannabidiol displayed a markedly superior side-effect profile. Moreover, cannabidiol treatment was accompanied by a significant increase in serum anandamide levels, which was significantly associated with clinical improvement.

The results suggest that inhibition of anandamide deactivation may contribute to the antipsychotic effects of cannabidiol potentially representing a completely new mechanism in the treatment of schizophrenia.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/02/170213131201.htm

In the new study, published in the journal Biological Psychiatry, the researchers investigated the interaction between the stress-promoting (CRF) and stress-constraining (eCBs) mechanisms in the central nucleus of the amygdala, a critical brain region involved in mediating emotional reactions. The findings suggest that overactive CRF signaling in this region produces a wide range of effects that override the stress-reducing capabilities of a major eCB called N-arachidonoylethanolamine (anandamide), turning chronic stress into unchecked, or pathological, anxiety.

Last edited:

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
I shou
More research on the benefits of CBD/cannabidiol coming out.

Cannabidiol looks to be an inhibitor of anandamide, similar to low dose amisulpride that @Hip has written about in the past, but with much fewer side effects. Plus it's a supplement whereas amisupride is an rx...another reason to be vigilant about the DEA's attempts to regulate CBD out of availability).

Boosting levels of anandamide looks to be helpful in PTSD and general anxiety states as well as in psychosis.

http://www.nature.com/tp/journal/v2/n3/full/tp201215a.html

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/02/170213131201.htm
l should definitely give it a try! Anything to calm as one person put it my "feverish" brain. (LOL)

Paw

Cannabidiol looks to be an inhibitor of anandamide
This confused me -- but I think it's really the opposite: cannabidiol inhibits the deactivation of anandamide, right?

Cannabis, in general, contains some of the best medicines in the world that we know of -- especially for our family of diseases. IMO.

Remy

Administrator
This confused me -- but I think it's really the opposite: cannabidiol inhibits the deactivation of anandamide, right?

Cannabis, in general, contains some of the best medicines in the world that we know of -- especially for our family of diseases. IMO.
Yes, I think I left out a crucial word. I'll fix it, thanks! :)

Upgrayedd

Interesting timing. I just ordered two different types of CBD in the past week, before reading your post, @Remy!

I initially bought it to try to help my son, who suffers from anxiety. I was trying to find something natural and less addictive than the typical meds the docs put him on.

But now I'm wondering if it can help me too. I'll let you know!

Remy

Administrator
Interesting timing. I just ordered two different types of CBD in the past week, before reading your post, @Remy!

I initially bought it to try to help my son, who suffers from anxiety. I was trying to find something natural and less addictive than the typical meds the docs put him on.

But now I'm wondering if it can help me too. I'll let you know!
You might have to try a few brands too. I've bought about 5 different kinds now, because research lol, and they are all vastly different in effectiveness. One makes me feel nothing and another makes me feel super sleepy. The rest are in between. I'm still waiting on the transdermal patches to try...but I definitely wouldn't give up on CBD without trying a few if the first one isn't a hit.

Upgrayedd

Good advice. Thanks.

And it's how I wound up ordering from two different places to start.

Time will tell. Now, the waiting for deliveries...

Abrin

l should definitely give it a try! Anything to calm as one person put it my "feverish" brain. (LOL)

As someone who also has an 'over-clocked' brain I can tell you that I found it was zero help to me when I had easy access to many different types in the past when lived by Amsterdam.

I do know lots of people who use it to help with their anxiety who say that it really helps so who knows........it might just be my bad luck that it is useless to me.

Paw

Apparently the strain matters a lot -- at least when it comes to marijuana (I don't know much about CBD) -- but it sounds like you already looked into that. Nothing has been better for my neuropathy-related pains, and for sleep, than a small amount of indica before bed.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources