Case reports about babesia point to weakening of immune system by Celiac

Not dead yet!

Something interesting about spleen/celiac/infection is in the news. Irish and Spanish reports show a link between gluten induced illness and Babesia.

[article=https://www.celiac.com/articles/25020/1/Can-Celiac-Patients-with-Splenic-Dysfunction-Develop-Severe-Babesiosis/Page1.html]

Although most patients with babesiosis typically have a fever, there can also be non-specific symptoms, which can triggers delays or errors in diagnosis. Babesia divergens is considered the main agent of human babesiosis in Europe.

A team of researchers recently reported a case of a celiac disease patient with splenic dysfunction from resulting in severe babesiosis. Their report describes a 79-year-old Irish man with hyposplenism and splenic atrophy due to adult celiac disease, who became critically ill from a severe Babesia divergens infection.

Sources:

Ticks Tick Borne Dis. 2017 Jun;8(4):537-539. doi: 10.1016/j.ttbdis.2017.02.016. Epub 2017 Feb 28.
Vector-Borne and Zoonotic Diseases. October 2016, 16(10): 677-679.
[/article]

I didn't realize splenic function was "a thing" with celiac. It's certainly not listed in comorbidity lists. I have the fever and the spleen pain, and am probably Celiac... but is babesia easily tested for?

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources