CBT for insomnia

Who Me?

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Insomnia

@Strike me lucky we're cured!

If you are like many people reading this article, you see "Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Insomnia" and think, what isthat? Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Insomnia, often called CBT-I, is an approved method for treating insomnia without the use of sleeping pills. Sound impossible? It isn't. Sounds like hard work? It can be. CBT is aimed at changing sleep habits and scheduling factors, as well as misconceptions about sleep and insomnia, that perpetuate sleep difficulties.

In fact, the recent National Institute of Health state-of-the science meeting on insomnia concluded that CBT-I is a safe and effective means of managing chronic insomnia and its effects. At this point you may be thinking, "That is great, but I still don't know what CBT-I is." Cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia includes regular, often weekly, visits to a clinician, who will give you a series of sleep assessments, ask you to complete a sleep diary and work with you in sessions to help you change the way you sleep.

For Christine, a swim and safety instructor for the U.S. Navy, a simple cat nap while recovering from knee surgery turned into a full bout of insomnia. She explained, "I had to take medication for the excruciating pain and it would make me sleepy. My doctor told me to stay on bed rest but I found it difficult to lie around all day without drifting to sleep. However, day time napping was making a big impact on my ability to fall and stay asleep at night. When the pain in my knee finally went away and I headed back to work, I found that I was hooked on napping."

Christine went back to work and curtailed her mid-day napping but found that as soon as she got home she felt like dozing. She started going to bed earlier and earlier. For a person who gets up at 4:00am to go to work, this seemed like a good idea – except she was rarely sleeping soundly through the night and wound up feeling

Continued

https://sleepfoundation.org/sleep-news/cognitive-behavioral-therapy-insomnia

Merry

Ha, ha.

In an early scene of Mike Leigh's "Another Year," a woman consults a doctor about insomnia. The doctor tells her that insomnia is not a medical condition and refers her to a talk therapist.

Tony L

Just hearing those three little letters does it for me......... CBTzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz often called CBT-Z...........

Don't want to read what these misconceptions are, just in case they stick. Got enough already thanks @Who Me?

Who Me?

@Tony L i have been up since about 3:30 or 4 am. I was laying in bed with the tv on and heard that crap on the local news and had to post it. Notice it was 5:30 am.

I will look in the mirror and tell myself "I will sleep" 10 times and of course I will. So easy why didn't I think of that? Oh cuz I don't sleep. Duh!

Tony L

My problem is not one of being unable to sleep, it's that I keep waking up every ....ing morning!

Maybe I have a misconception regarding the quality of my life............need to redefine quality of life.........but how.............?

Who Me?

Unknown.jpeg

Tony L

@Who Me? Using the Redefine the definition of recovery technique, developed for ME by one of the UK's top Professors of CBT, I have a solution to your problem

Recovery means being able to get on and partake in life without significant................. sleep

CBT-mediated recovery from ME, another outstanding contribution from UK Science. Proud to be British!

Who Me?

I've been up since 4:30 a.m. Yah I feel really up for partaking in life right now!

Oh and @Tony L I just saw something else on the news about this from a US place so they are jumping on the bandwagon.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/1...vioral-therapy-first-before-pills-doctors.htm

With that in mind, the American College of Physicians (ACP) released new guidelines on Monday that described CBT as an effective method in conditioning the body to sleep again, especially because the therapy does not carry side effects.
"We want to get away from the overtendency to prescribe sleep medications," said ACP President Dr. Wayne Riley. "Clearly CBT can be a very nice tool in the toolkit."

Tony L

Brilliant! Effective treatments with no side effects, I need a rethink on this........................

To suggest that there are no side effects for talking therapies is I think a nonsense. There are consequences for the patient/client which may be positive or negative.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources