CFS Patients Have Normal Mental Health Function.

Remy

Administrator
And in other news, water is wet...

http://www.shoutoutaboutme.com/symptoms/cdc-study-finds-cfs-is-physical-not-mental/

Despite decades of suggesting otherwise, the CDC has just determined that CFS patients have normal mental health function and severe physical impairments.

The findings coincide with the NIH’s decision to drop a key component of its clinical study of post-infectious ME/CFS, amid patient concerns about serious and potentially crippling methodological problems with the study, highlighted in a review by MEAdvocacy.org.

The CDC Multi-site Clinical Assessment of CFS, which began in 2012, collected data from 450 patients at seven clinical centers in the US.

According to the CDC, the aim of the study was “to characterize patients with CFS or myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME) in clinical practices of clinicians with expertise in CFS/ME.”

Dr Elizabeth Unger, head of the CDC’s Chronic Viral Diseases Branch, announced the early findings of the multi-site study at a CDC Grand Rounds event on ME/CFS in February.

Those preliminary and as yet unpublished findings reveal that functional status in CFS patients is severely impaired, except for mental and emotion function.

Empty

Well, when they have been insisting that water is not wet, getting all your family, friends support networks, benefits agencies, alternative practitioners to believe it too, trying to force us to see it as well, it certainly is great news.

However, see the use of 'functional' in there, the trick word?

bobby

And in other news, water is wet...
yeah I was gonna say when I read this thread title: tell me something we didn't know already :rolleyes:
article said:
The study showed that mental and emotional function of patients was close to normal, despite the serious nature and often lengthy term of the illness.
in other words... we are LEGENDS! :cool: (something else we already knew, obviously)

Remy

Administrator
However, see the use of 'functional' in there, the trick word?
I define functional status the same way these people do..."Functional status is an individual's ability to perform normal daily activities required to meet basic needs, fulfill usual roles, and maintain health and well-being."

Do you define it differently?

San Diego

It’s about time. This is really a good way to start the week!

If this is really true, and the tide is truly turning for us, be on the watch for the next patient group to be abused - the psychs have to keep their jobs and continue their symbiotic relationships with insurance companies/governments. :D

Empty

I define functional status the same way these people do..."Functional status is an individual's ability to perform normal daily activities required to meet basic needs, fulfill usual roles, and maintain health and well-being."

I define functional as functional - like the common use of the word. Haven't read it yet, was just asking someone to clarify that it was 100% legit as only reading snippets for few days rest. If it is, this is really good news.

Remy

Administrator
I define functional as functional - like the common use of the word. Haven't read it yet, was just asking someone to clarify that it was 100% legit as only reading snippets for few days rest. If it is, this is really good news.
"Functional status" is a thing that means more than the words individually and that's how I believe they are using it here.

I don't see anything nefarious here, really, but I tend to be a bit naive about that sort of thing.

ShyestofFlies

If by that they mean able to live in a hygienic housing, prepare and eat 2-3 meals a day, clean up after yourself, shower daily, drive or take public transportation, work (nearly) every day, take care of family members and pets and do all these things and more every day, day in and out, then yes that's how I define functional as well!

I need to find out how they are measuring mental function, because I just don't believe that everything mentally is working for most of us from what I have read, we seem to have menopause brains (even the guys)...

Who Me?

If by that they mean able to live in a hygienic housing, prepare and eat 2-3 meals a day, clean up after yourself, shower daily, drive or take public transportation, work (nearly) every day, take care of family members and pets and do all these things and more every day, day in and out, then yes that's how I define functional as well!

Well I don't do most of that shys because I have to pick and choose where I use my energy each day. But I consider myself functional. So maybe it's a relative term?

And I'm saner than most well people I know.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
I definitely need to see that video. That is great to hear.....It also makes is clear that the Empiricl definition or rather the Reeves criteria needs to be dropped as it included emotional elements in it. It's true that the cognitive studies tend to characterize the cognitive hits as relatively mild. I think they're missing something.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources