Supplement Constipation from supplements

erstmalzupenny

For a few weeks now, I treat my moderate M.E. with the following daily regime of supplements:
Alpha Lipoic Acid 600mg
acetyl-L-carnitine 2g
Thiamine (Vitamin B1) 1,5g

I have the feeling it helps me getting some relief from the brain fog and muscular pain in the arms and legs, especially in combination with the ketogenic diet that I have switched to months ago.

However, the huge amount of capsules and pills (8 in total) always gives me stomachache and constipation. I have tried to stretch the doses over the day and always take the pills with a meal but that does only help a bit.

Does anyone have any tips what I could change to get less digestive problems from the supplements? Maybe dissolve them as a powder in water?

Thanks for your help!

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
For a few weeks now, I treat my moderate M.E. with the following daily regime of supplements:
Alpha Lipoic Acid 600mg
acetyl-L-carnitine 2g
Thiamine (Vitamin B1) 1,5g

I have the feeling it helps me getting some relief from the brain fog and muscular pain in the arms and legs, especially in combination with the ketogenic diet that I have switched to months ago.

However, the huge amount of capsules and pills (8 in total) always gives me stomachache and constipation. I have tried to stretch the doses over the day and always take the pills with a meal but that does only help a bit.

Does anyone have any tips what I could change to get less digestive problems from the supplements? Maybe dissolve them as a powder in water?

Thanks for your help!
For me with constipation psyllium fiber works really well.

Something else you can do when you're on the toilet is to hold your hands on the outside of your knees and press your knees against them. This prevents hemorrhoids and helps the poop just pop out sometimes.

Good luck!

Paw

when you're on the toilet is to hold your hands on the outside of your knees and press your knees against them. This prevents hemorrhoids and helps the poop just pop out sometimes.
TMI! (But I'll try it next time I'm constipated.)

I also use psyllium religiously. I like this one.

It's possible some of the supplements themselves may be contributing to the constipation in a paradoxical manner. Could take some experimentation.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources