Could a Diet Reduce the Pain in Fibromyalgia? A FODMAPS Study Suggests Yes

Resource Could a Diet Reduce the Pain in Fibromyalgia? A FODMAPS Study Suggests Yes

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Cort submitted a new resource:

Can a Diet Reduce Pain in Fibromyalgia? A FODMAPS Study Suggests Perhaps - Small study suggests FODMAP diet reduces pain by 25% in fibromyalgia

Can something as simple as a diet reduce the pain in fibromyalgia? Little study has been done but some evidence suggests that diets might be able to effect pain. Ketogenic diets have reduced pain in laboratory animals. Pro-inflammatory diets have been proposed to contribute to chronic pain states. Eliminating...

Read more about this resource...

Cort submitted a new resource:

Can a Diet Reduce Pain in Fibromyalgia? A FODMAPS Study Suggests Perhaps - Small study suggests FODMAP diet reduces pain by 25% in fibromyalgia

Read more about this resource...
I have assumed that the low carb diet causes a reduction in pain, slowly and long term, because the by-products of burning carbs for energy increase toxicity in the muscle fascia area - FM involving a dysfunction in the body's ability to clear these post-exercise wastes. Burning fat for energy is cleaner. But this has always been just a hypothesis, but researchers should be including the possibility. The various hypothesis are all potentially the right one.

Per

I went to Vancouver's Complex Chronic Disease Program about a year and a half ago, and they suggested FODMAPs. I was resistant at first, but have come to learn that most of my tummy trouble has a direct correlation to my sugar intake. And 'fermenting' is just what it does, so you may not pay as badly the day you eat them, but the following days will catch up with you. If you have extreme acidity, I suggest you try it.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
I went to Vancouver's Complex Chronic Disease Program about a year and a half ago, and they suggested FODMAPs. I was resistant at first, but have come to learn that most of my tummy trouble has a direct correlation to my sugar intake. And 'fermenting' is just what it does, so you may not pay as badly the day you eat them, but the following days will catch up with you. If you have extreme acidity, I suggest you try it.
Thanks for passing that on, Per.

Merida

It might be very worthwhile to look at the relationship between diet and ghrelin and leptin levels. And the leptin and ghrelin levels tie in to my observations of many years for my own family and others diagnosed with FMS/CFS - scoliosis ( even mild cases) seem to be a risk factor for the development of FMS/CFS. There are some newer scoliosis research articles finding abnormal levels of ghrelin/ leptin in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis. Maybe there is an important link here. Just too exhausted to write more, but hope someone can do a little research and elucidate thus further.

One further comment: When my son got the severe case of well- documented Epstein- Barr virus at age 5/1986, he became very hungry at night - waking each nite for something to eat. Wonder if viruses can somehow affect the ghrelin/ leptin levels? Or the pituitary/ hypothalamus that produces them? Ha! Remembering that high intracranial pressure may also affect ghrelin/leptin. Please, someone carry this on. Must lie down.

Thanks, again, Cort, for all the important articles.

Steve

What about us card-carrying longstanding fibies with zero gastric sx? I did strict Keto for two weeks of hell, that means no sugar or gluten either, as a byproduct, and my fibro pain was off the charts as usual.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources