Could there be a blood vessel problem?

Zapped

<<I continue to try a couple of different 'quality' brands, willing to pay more for that perception, hopefully correlated but not naive:& (Some quality ratings are found at labdoor.com.) I continue to up the dosage under the premise that maybe a condition of feeling better takes more time...?>>

Addendum: problems with anecdotal information...

FWIW, reservatrol may act as an MAOI, so exercise care if taking Zoloft (sertraline) or other SSRI's; check with
a competent pharmacist for advice.

Issie

<<I continue to try a couple of different 'quality' brands, willing to pay more for that perception, hopefully correlated but not naive:& (Some quality ratings are found at labdoor.com.) I continue to up the dosage under the premise that maybe a condition of feeling better takes more time...?>>

Addendum: problems with anecdotal information...

FWIW, reservatrol may act as an MAOI, so exercise care if taking Zoloft (sertraline) or other SSRI's; check with
a competent pharmacist for advice.
So many times I talk about a supplement or spice and later learn more that might cause a problem for someone else. So much to learn and just not possible to know all.

Recently I learned black cumin seed can lower your blood pressure. After 3 weeks it started lowering mine too much. So will be rotating days.

Still using green tea and turmeric daily. . FYI - turmeric also helps depression.

Issie

Zapped

Always, not enough time nor space ... .
Theoretical concepts emerge from cumulative knowledge... . Then one more application is synthesized for any
known substance, here the botanical related.
Isn't it likely that 'modernity', re this topic, is only at the tip of knowledge of the biological and biochemical iceberg; ⭕️ or ♻️?

Zapped

So many times I talk about a supplement or spice and later learn more that might cause a problem for someone else. So much to learn and just not possible to know all.

Recently I learned black cumin seed can lower your blood pressure... Still using green tea and turmeric daily. . FYI - turmeric also helps depression.
Issie
...Not to mention that these are key anti-inflammatory agents, particularly Tumeric!

Issie

I know - right......

I love learning and applying. Tip of the iceberg ---- yeah, let's go below the surface. Keep digging. We may come up with the perfect solution. We don't have to wait for years for some study to give us empirical evidence. Make lifestyle changes (diet and bad habits) and apply what seems to fit. See what we get. Get the inflammation down - do what we can to affect the immune system in a positive way. Address known or probable dysfunctions (epigenetics, pathway dysfunctions, known deficiencies). Then we will see what's left to tweak.

Issie

Merida

Zapped, Issie, anyone else,

Are your symptoms affected by changing air pressures, including low pressure storms and air plane flights ?

Zapped

Flying and airport travels are now history for me - too much overload.
My BP is otherwise pretty steady but I only take a peek on occasion.

FWIW, I have chased so many rabbits down twisting tunnels that I hate to
use up reserves on a new sighting. I'll try to hold back and wait for a clear shot,
so to speak:sorry:...

Good hunting to you. I'll be in the bushes on this one but will fire if a big one pops up.:peeking:

Merida

Zapped,
Yes, I gave up rabbit chasing about 2007 - got into alternative stuff - Rieki, myofacial release, qigong, shamanism, etc. Still there, so I don't want to do much more rabbit hole stuff. :/

Zapped

Zapped,
Yes, I gave up rabbit chasing about 2007 - got into alternative stuff - Rieki, myofacial release, qigong, shamanism, etc. Still there, so I don't want to do much more rabbit hole stuff. :/

Great stuff - exercises the brain - and the hands of the 'masters'!

:finger: Now, what's the sound of one molecule... and 2...?
Hint: it's a non-syllogistic conditional relative... . o_O

Ciao.

AnneVA

Cort, it was these great discussions and information that brought me to this point. I think I may have arrived at the genetic problem for my family - some collagen disorder, but not Ehlers - Danlos. Wow.

there are a multitude of EDS dx. and you can have overlaps of one type with another type. And then there are degrees of EDS as there are degrees of autism... on a spectrum of sorts. Here is one type of EDS but it's a great overview of it and lists other types. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK1279/

With the blood vessels: with EDS and it's common secondary condition, Orthostatic Intolerance which includes POTS, NMH, etc, the body is working with faulty connective tissue. That includes blood vessels. Tendons and ligaments at the joints get stretched out and it is thought that blood vessels can get stretched out or lax, also. That would make it more likely that blood will pool in the hands and feet/lower legs. Getting the legs strong helps develop the muscle pumps needed to help the blood get back up to the heart. My girl's cardiologist who dx.ed POTS put her on 2 vasoconstrictors to counteract the pooling. One was a pharmaceutical and one was an herb.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Zapped, Issie, anyone else,

Are your symptoms affected by changing air pressures, including low pressure storms and air plane flights ?

Air plane flights don't bother me but they seem to bother a lot of people - more so than just the physical aspects of taking a plane flight might cause.

Merida

Okay, back on line after cable line repaired. I talked my pain doc into 10 Diamox tabs, and I will see where this takes me. Cort, I always get very drowsy the first 1 hour of flights - always have. Thought this was normal. Friends and husband say no. After the injury, not only did I get drowsy, but also had hip/leg pain, tingling, severe head pressure, air hunger and more.
Currently I am confused, as this whole issue of arterial blood flow to brain, production/re absorption of spinal fluid, and venous and spinal fluid drainage from the brain seems very complex and all interconnected. Plus, the pelvis plays a role in this circulation too.

I see there was a recent conference in France, CSF Hydrodynamics Symposium 2015, sponsored by The Chiari and Syringomyelia Foundation. A good group - motivated to find answers to this problem. The Chiari people also appreciate that there is some association between Chiari and scoliosis.

I read Diana's Driscoll's book on this issue of hydrodynamics and thought it was right on. She has read The Downside of Upright Posture by Michael Flanagan. Also, a practicing research neurosurgeon in Brazil ( active in U.S. - speaker at Chiari conference recently and presenter at Congress of Neurological Surgeons) has read this book, after I wrote him. He also interested in the anthropological perspective- ie how did the development of upright posture influence the fluid dynamics of the CNS. He told me that " it is very lonely out here" - ie trying to bridge these big ideas and medical perspectives.

I am hesitant to get the MR angiogram as I have read recent research that is reporting that gadolinium ( a heavy metal) is crossing the blood/brain barrier. This is all so frustrating.

Merida

there are a multitude of EDS dx. and you can have overlaps of one type with another type. And then there are degrees of EDS as there are degrees of autism... on a spectrum of sorts. Here is one type of EDS but it's a great overview of it and lists other types. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK1279/

With the blood vessels: with EDS and it's common secondary condition, Orthostatic Intolerance which includes POTS, NMH, etc, the body is working with faulty connective tissue. That includes blood vessels. Tendons and ligaments at the joints get stretched out and it is thought that blood vessels can get stretched out or lax, also. That would make it more likely that blood will pool in the hands and feet/lower legs. Getting the legs strong helps develop the muscle pumps needed to help the blood get back up to the heart. My girl's cardiologist who dx.ed POTS put her on 2 vasoconstrictors to counteract the pooling. One was a pharmaceutical and one was an herb.

AnneVA : thank you for this valuable information. I have several EDS friends, and attended the support group here in L.A. It is strange that my family shares symptoms, but no hyper mobility. My mom did have terrible vericose veins in her legs. Is that typical for EDS? Also, have observed blue venous patterns close to the surface on my son's upper body - on one side only. I wonder if there is a type of EDS not yet identified? Was your daughter helped?

AnneVA

AnneVA : thank you for this valuable information. I have several EDS friends, and attended the support group here in L.A. It is strange that my family shares symptoms, but no hyper mobility. My mom did have terrible vericose veins in her legs. Is that typical for EDS? Also, have observed blue venous patterns close to the surface on my son's upper body - on one side only. I wonder if there is a type of EDS not yet identified? Was your daughter helped?

Merida, you stiffen up as you get older so I might have had some hypermobility when younger but not so much now. I don't know about the varicose veins. My girl has something like it but on her upper legs. She's had the blue venous patterns/ mottled skin? but more so on her legs with pooling. I believe that there is ongoing work or work just completed in reorganizing the EDS criteria. Was my daughter helped? For just EDS as related to joints; yes, thru EDS savvy PTherapist. She continues to have some problems areas that pop up such as an elbow. Treating those is like putting out a brush fire. Massage has helped the headaches that come from cervical instability. For the POTS, saline infusions have helped the most. Drinking 130 fluid oz of water/fluid and taking in 4-5 grams of salt plus a number of medications didn't help as much as a IV bag of saline. The theory is that EDS tissue compartments can be leaking, not holding onto fluid very well. Drinking fluids doesn't get into those tissue compartments as well as a slow saline IV. So she is truly hydrated and her blood volume is expanded and that raises her blood pressure. Sleeping with the head of the bed raised 4 to 6 inches has also helped her sleep better and wake up more easily. Her body's autonomic system doesn't have to completely reset in the morning when she stands up.

Merida

Thanks, again, AnneVA. Yes, I fit this profile. I get the 'not truly hydrated' part - yes, I drink and drink, still thirsty, still feel dehydrated. ( no diabetes)

I keep wondering how these apparently dominant EDS genes persisted over years of evolution/selection. I see that it is believed that EDS genes may be located on chromosome 6. This is interesting as chromosome 6 also has the HLA genes and genes which control spinal development and are linked to spina bifida occulta - which I have.

Merida

It's all so intertwined and so complicated. Have you ever had a saline IV from a visit to the ER?
Yes. I went to ER with severe left abdomen pain and fever of 101 - 2010. Got saline IV, temperature dropped to 98.2 and I felt amazingly well. Pain subsided. Had no idea why. Geez, we report these things and report these things to our docs, and just get blank stares.

Thanks to all of the EDS people who have shared. You have great insights into this mess. I share something important with the EDS group, but don't know what that is ???? I have never had any hypermobility of any kind ?????

AnneVA

Yes. I went to ER with severe left abdomen pain and fever of 101 - 2010. Got saline IV, temperature dropped to 98.2 and I felt amazingly well. Pain subsided. Had no idea why. Geez, we report these things and report these things to our docs, and just get blank stares.

Thanks to all of the EDS people who have shared. You have great insights into this mess. I share something important with the EDS group, but don't know what that is ???? I have never had any hypermobility of any kind ?????

Merida, thinking back to when my girl started saline, she used to have very bad stomach pain but it seems to have improved since starting the saline. She was dx. with abdominal migraines but I rarely if ever hear of that type of pain anymore. With POTS/OI, you can have blood pooling not just in your feet and hands but you can have blood pooling in your abdomen. Getting the extra fluid in helps improve blood flow. Hummm.

And then removing 90% of gluten helped, too.

Just so ..... intertwined and complex!

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources