Cure: A Journey Into The Science Of Mind Over Body.

RuthAnn

Sorry, I don't. I haven't dug deeply into genetics yet. I was thinking that since Croatoan first brought it up, he would be the one who could best explain it.
Okay, I thought that since you told him that magnesium does NOT upregulate COMT that you knew what it means.

RuthAnn

Sorry, I don't. I haven't dug deeply into genetics yet. I was thinking that since Croatoan first brought it up, he would be the one who could best explain it.

Interesting! There's a tremendous amount of research that needs to be done on the impact genetics have on any number of illnesses. There's not much that's even close to definitive at the moment, but I believe that time will come and I'm looking forward to it. I expect it to be very exciting.

Wow, it looks like there's already a lot going on. Well, back to the videos.

Remy

Administrator
What does up-regulate mean with respect to genes?
Upregulate means to increase a cellular component of a cell, like a receptor or an enzyme. COMT is an enzyme...so I assume the idea is that magnesium increases the amount of COMT enzyme present in the cell. Which is not something I can see is supported by the science.

Here's a good video by Dr. Rostenberg about balancing neurotransmitters in the brain by balancing comt and mao

And here is yet another example of someone trying to sell us goods and services based on speculation, conjecture and mostly fantasy-land. I've seen less spinning on The Real Housewives.

RuthAnn

Upregulate means to increase a cellular component of a cell, like a receptor or an enzyme. COMT is an enzyme...so I assume the idea is that magnesium increases the amount of COMT enzyme present in the cell. Which is not something I can see is supported by the science.

And here is yet another example of someone trying to sell us goods and services based on speculation, conjecture and mostly fantasy-land. I've seen less spinning on The Real Housewives.
Okay, yes, I have a lot to learn. I am going to watch some of the videos by the various people working with nutrigenomics so I can get up to speed.

IrisRV

Okay, I thought that since you told him that magnesium does NOT upregulate COMT that you knew what it means.
Ummm.... that wasn't me. ;)

Anyway, I think it's incumbent on the person first making the assertion to support it.

RuthAnn

Ummm.... that wasn't me. ;)

Anyway, I think it's incumbent on the person first making the assertion to support it.
I see what you mean, it was Remy that said that. I'm so sorry, I guess because I asked the question and then you were the next one to respond, I lost track of who actually said that. So sorry.

IrisRV

This thread has gone WAY off-topic, starting somewhere between posts #44 and #47. This thread is supposed to be about a book entitled Cure by Jo Marchant and the methods she proposes. Nutrigenomics has nothing to do with that.

We've got several threads going at the same time about nutrigenomics. It's confusing enough for those currently involved in the discussion. It will be almost impossible for some future reader interested interested in the topic to find the information s/he needs.

Can we please move the OT discussion off this thread and over to one of the other nutrigenomics threads? And perhaps consolidate them as well so that all the info is in one place? If we're going to be useful to other patients, we need to keep the discussion easily retrievable. If we spread information on nutrigenomics all over HR and therefore difficult to find, people interested in it will just wander off to somewhere the information is easier to access.

IrisRV

I see what you mean, it was Remy that said that. I'm so sorry, I guess because I asked the question and then you were the next one to respond, I lost track of who actually said that. So sorry.
No problem. Easy to do. :)

Croatoan

High-dose vitamin therapy stimulates variant enzymes with decreased coenzyme binding affinity (increased Km): relevance to genetic disease and polymorphisms
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/75/4/616.full
High doses of vitamins are used to treat many inheritable human diseases. The molecular basis of disease arising from as many as one-third of the mutations in a gene is an increased Michaelis constant, or Km, (decreased binding affinity) of an enzyme for the vitamin-derived coenzyme or substrate, which in turn lowers the rate of the reaction.

About 50 human genetic dis-eases due to defective enzymes can be remedied or ameliorated by the administration of high doses of the vitamin component of the corresponding coenzyme, which at least partially restores enzymatic activity. Several single-nucleotide polymorphisms, in which the variant amino acid reduces coenzyme binding and thus enzymatic activity, are likely to be remediable by raising cellular concentrations of the cofactor through high-dose vitamin therapy.
---
For COMT we see that the cofactor is Magnesium and it also needs SAM (SAMe)
http://www.uniprot.org/uniprot/P21964

S-adenosyl-L-methionine + a catechol = S-adenosyl-L-homocysteine + a guaiacol.
Cofactori
Mg2+Note: Binds 1 MgMg2+ ion per subunit.

COMT was a bad example for me to use. MTHFR would have been better since there is more research. But it is the same process. If this were not true why does magnesium make people sleepy?

Croatoan

Sorry, when I say up-regulate I mean it increases enzyme activity. It works faster. So if I increase the enzyme activity of MAOA by taking more riboflavin it will break down serotonin faster.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources