Cytokine network analysis of cerebrospinal fluid in myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndro

Merry

M Hornig, G Gottschalk, D L Peterson, K K Knox, A F Schultz, M L Eddy, X Che and W I Lipkin have published interesting research results in Molecular Psychiatry.

Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome is an unexplained debilitating disorder that is frequently associated with cognitive and motor dysfunction. We analyzed cerebrospinal fluid from 32 cases, 40 subjects with multiple sclerosis and 19 normal subjects frequency-matched for age and sex using a 51-plex cytokine assay. Group-specific differences were found for the majority of analytes with an increase in cases of CCL11 (eotaxin), a chemokine involved in eosinophil recruitment. Network analysis revealed an inverse relationship between interleukin 1 receptor antagonist and colony-stimulating factor 1, colony-stimulating factor 2 and interleukin 17F, without effects on interleukin 1α or interleukin 1β, suggesting a disturbance in interleukin 1 signaling. Our results indicate a markedly disturbed immune signature in the cerebrospinal fluid of cases that is consistent with immune activation in the central nervous system, and a shift toward an allergic or T helper type-2 pattern associated with autoimmunity.
http://www.nature.com/mp/journal/v21/n2/full/mp201529a.html

I don't have access to the full paper (nor would I have the expertise to analyze and comment on it).

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
This is interesting! It's a new paper but it looks similar to one I did a blog on... Could it be a brand new paper?

Merry

This is interesting! It's a new paper but it looks similar to one I did a blog on... Could it be a brand new paper?
The Massachusetts CFIDS Association shared the link to the article on Facebook today. The date on the article says February 2016. Someone else has just emailed to ask if this is a new article. I can't explain why it seems like old news.

Seanko

There has been some speculation that it is the same paper published a year ago by Mady on CSF in Molecular Psychiatry.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources