Date syrup effective against resistant Staph aureus

Not dead yet!

I've been working on gluten free baking. I may end up going back to lower carbs eventually, but I'm thinking lifelong, so I want to have the skills to bake safely for holidays. One of the ideas I like a lot is using syrup instead of granulated sugar in baking. It's simple to make and I was looking for some baking benefits like "humectant" and 'sticky." Both of those are important missing ingredients in gluten free baking. One of the links I stumbled on while looking at that is this one:

[article=https://www.sciencealert.com/date-syrup-could-fend-off-bacterial-infections]When the syrup was mixed with a range of disease-causing bacteria - including Staphylococcus aureus, Escherichia coli, Enterococcus spp. and Pseudomonas aeruginosa - it inhibited their growth in about six hours[/article]

I think that's good news for people worried about SIBO. The effect wasn't tied to the concentration of the sugar (although concentrated sugar does also inhibit bacterial growth), the phenolics were part of the reason. They were thinking of applying it topically.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources