Do you drink Bulletproof Coffee?

Remy

Administrator
Have you heard of Bulletproof Coffee? It's the brainchild of Dave Asprey....basically you mix 2 T organic, grass fed butter and 2T MCT oil in with coffee and whip it up until it gets nice and frothy. It makes a great breakfast replacement for me and keeps me full for at least 4-5 hours with almost zero carbs.

But I can't help but make it my own...and it looks like others can't either. Here are the top 15 Bulletproof Coffee hacks plus my own weirdo recipe.

2T Butter
2T Brain Octane
1 packet Nescafe instant hazelnut coffee (I know)
2 t Dandyblend
1T coconut cream
1/2t ceylon cinnamon
2 g curcumin
Stevia to taste
splash of vanilla
1 scoop Bulletproof collagen for a small amount of protein
2 cups water

1. L-Theanine
L-Theanine (100 mg) is a popular supplement that works synergistically with caffeine. It’s an amino acid naturally found in tea that increases alpha brain waves. It has been shown to mitigate negative effects from caffeine, including damaged sleep quality and anxiety, while boosting the positive effects. You can also take it in a capsule in the morning along with your coffee. But why not blend it in? It won’t change the taste, but it changes how you feel.
2. Turmeric

Turmeric is the popular yellow spice used mainly in Indian cuisine. Turmeric contains a powerful compound called curcumin, which has profound anti-inflammatory effects and is a strong antioxidant. Adding it to your coffee will boost the total amount of antioxidants, but will diminish the coffee flavor.[ii] If you don’t like coffee, but want to drink it for the antioxidant polyphenols, turmeric erases the coffee taste. Turmeric doesn’t absorb well without fat anyway.
3. Ginger

Ginger is rich in gingerols, and has been used for its antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and anti-nausea effects. Like turmeric, ginger will diminish some of the coffee flavor.[iii] Mix this stuff with turmeric, and you’ll taste NO coffee (but what kind of masochist would do that???), and get a powerful anti-inflammatory herbal blend.
4. Grape Seed Extract

Grape Seed Extract has an astringent, tannin flavor that’s not bitter (depending on the brand). It also has positive effects with blood cholesterol and inflammation.[iv] A pure grape seed extract can add amazing flavor notes to coffee.
5. Upgraded Collagen

Upgraded Collagen is a great addition to Bulletproof Coffee as less inflammatory protein source high in the amino acid glycine. It aids healthy tissue repair while maintaining healthy levels of inflammation and revitalizing your skin.[v] It also stands up well to the heat of coffee, which is not true of quality whey protein.
6. Upgraded Vanilla

Upgraded Vanilla adds a great flavor and has historically been used as a cognitive enhancer. Real vanilla (only about 5% of the “vanilla” people consume) has a super high ORAC score of 122,400. You can mix the Upgraded Vanilla in with your coffee grounds or add them after brewing.[vi]
7. Cayenne

Cayenne is well known for its health impacts, especially since it works synergistically with MCTs for thermogenesis. However, cayenne has a high risk of mold toxin contamination, so opt for a high quality source.[vii] It is also a nightshade, so it’s a suspect food on the Bulletproof Diet Roadmap. Be sure it’s helping you. And get ready to sweat!
8. Blueberry Powder

Blueberry Powder has a high amount of polyphenols as well as a high ORAC score. It also raises BDNF, which helps brain function. Remember to watch out for high amounts of fructose![viii] I use blueberry extract in the morning, or real powder in my second cup when I have one.
9. Eggs and/or Egg Yolks

Eggs, and especially egg yolks, are a good alternative as a source of healthy fats in the absence of butter. They are great sources of micronutrients like omega-3s and vitamin K2 (see below). Check out also Mark Sisson’s Primal Egg Coffee recipe!
10. Bilberry Powder

Bilberry Powder is made from bilberries, a close relative of cranberries. It can improve vision, reduce eyestrain, and support overall eye health.[ix] It’s expensive – so increase it’s bioavailability.
11. Upgraded Cacao Butter

Upgraded Cacao Butter provides a subtle chocolate finish to your coffee. It’s also a great source of healthy saturated fats![x] It’s not a replacement for real grass-fed butter. Just add a little!
12. Upgraded Chocolate Powder

Upgraded Chocolate Powder can make your Bulletproof® Coffee into a mocha, and adds lots of polyphenols to your morning blend.
13. Vitamin K2

Vitamin K2 is found in your grass-fed butter, but it is also a powerful addition to your coffee. It’s heat stable and doesn’t change the coffee flavor. For the lowdown on how crucial K2 is to your biology, check out the Bulletproof podcast with Dr. Kate Rhéaume-Bleue.
14. Maca

Maca, also known as Peruvian Ginseng, is an endocrine adaptogen that can help balance hormones and reverse hypothyroidism. It’s also high in vitamins and minerals like magnesium, potassium, and zinc. I like this one. But watch out: when I was looking to create a maca supplement, I put a high end supplier’s brand through the exhaustive Bulletproof Process for testing, and it failed with high aflatoxin levels of 13 ppm. Also, natives use gelatinized maca, NOT raw maca, because raw maca has anti-nutrients in it.
15. Ceylon Cinnamon

Ceylon Cinnamon can help you regulate your blood sugar and reduce insulin resistance, along with helping guard against irritable bowel syndrome and stomach flu, while increasing memory and response times.[xi] Ceylon is in contrast to the kind of cinnamon you usually find in generic grocery stores, which is called Cassia – it isn’t actually made from the real cinnamon plant. It’s worth upgrading to Ceylon, especially since a lot of people have a small reaction to Cassia they often aren’t aware of.
16. Bonus Tip: Add Nothing At All!

Black coffee is great too, when you’re not hungry. So I often enjoy a cup of black Upgraded Coffee straight up. Or I make a shot of espresso made with Upgraded Beans in my La Marzocco GS3 (at 198.7 degrees Fahrenheit to be exact).
Next up in the coffee series, stay tuned for the top 10 most common Bulletproof Coffee mistakes you want to NOT to make in your own morning brew. And don’t forget: Bulletproof Coffee now comes as Bulletproof Ground Coffee, in addition to whole beans – available for purchase in the Bulletproof Store starting today.

https://www.bulletproofexec.com/best-bulletproof-coffee-hacks-supplements-to-add/

San Diego

Interesting. It’s like a movement!

I just use 1/3 cup coconut cream, 1 TBSP Ghee, and sort of rotate between cinnamon and turmeric. For now. lol

San Diego

Do you have to use real coffee? I can't drink it cuz of my IBS.

@San Diego you know cinnamon is bad for histamine?
Well crap.

The last time I had cinnamon, about a week ago, I also put in some canned pumpkin and had one of my worst histamine reactions ever. Thought I’d end up in the ER. Hives all over my body, face swollen, etc. Bad stuff.

I blamed the pumpkin. Wow. I bet it was the cinnamon!!!

Good to know.

Who Me?

Say again @ remy? I don't understand what you meant. I saw something that said no cinnamon. Not that it's stopping me. Lol

San Diego

Don't eat
  • Cinnamon, cloves, vinegar
  • Chilli powder, anise
  • Curry powder, nutmeg
Also pumpkin
I have a true allergy to winter squashes, so I still wonder if it was the pumpkin since it’s in the same family and I haven’t had it in a while.

Either way, I think before I try either again I’ll get my epi-pen refilled. Good information, Who, good information!

Who Me?

Didn't stop me from eating some a 1/2 hour ago. Brothers apples with cinnamon.

I don't know if I have mast cell or histamine but i feel it in my chest if I eat a bad food and I feel better with quercetin.

So go figure. :confused:

Remy

Administrator
Didn't stop me from eating some a 1/2 hour ago. Brothers apples with cinnamon.

I don't know if I have mast cell or histamine but i feel it in my chest if I eat a bad food and I feel better with quercetin.

So go figure. :confused:
That's the problem with mast cell disorders and those lists. People have all different triggers and they seem pretty unrelated to histamine levels in general. I think we all have to make our own lists and maybe just use those for a template.

Yes eugenol is the main contistuent in cinnamon and it is a mast cell stabilizer. But that doesn't mean that someone couldn't react to it just like anything else unfortunately.

Yikes, @San Diego ! That sounds like a terrible reaction!

Who Me?

True @Remy. I do remember reading that you and others were fine with some things that should be a problem.

And I can eat strawberries one day and be fine and the next have a problem. Same with many foods. C

Thankfully my reaction isn't anywhere near as bad as @San Diego

Last edited:

bobby

I tried bulletproof coffee when the bulletproof method first came out. So very delicious! :hungry: He did say back then that you were supposed to use real espresso coffee. I remember cause I looked into what he said about only choosing coffee that is grown on high altitude. Apparently high altitude is the only place where a certain toxic mold can't grow (too little oxygen or sth?). He said that all other coffee had mold in it.

No idea what he's saying now. I did hear they're selling this stuff in coffee places now. I remember it tasted like liquid dessert, so I'm not surprised!

Lissa

That's the problem with mast cell disorders and those lists. People have all different triggers and they seem pretty unrelated to histamine levels in general. I think we all have to make our own lists and maybe just use those for a template.

Yes eugenol is the main contistuent in cinnamon and it is a mast cell stabilizer. But that doesn't mean that someone couldn't react to it just like anything else unfortunately.

Quick question... In the past I thought I'd read all kinds of amazing things about cinnamon and turmeric being anti-inflammatory.

Then I read about both of them being no no's for histamine reactions. (Mast cell stuff?)

So which is it? Is it really just different for different people? I find it confusing so far... Any insight? Thanks!

Who Me?

@Lissa I hope not curcumin cuz I just bought some. (Younger said it quiets microglia)

From what I've been reading although there are things that are known to cause histamine release, it seems to individual and so the lists are only a guideline. And there are many different lists.

I think @Remy has said that things that were low histamine were a problem for her. So it seems to be find your own triggers.

But I've also read where people have said one say something is fine, the next it's not.

Once again, nothing is ever simple

bobby

@Lissa @Who Me? re:turmeric the only thing to watch out for as far as I know is if you take blood thinners or have to have surgery. Turmeric is slightly blood thinning, so if you're already on thinners that could be a problem.

just checked my big herb encyclopedia and it says nothing about histamine...

also this about adding pepper:
When you consume Curcumin separately, it simply gets absorbed by the body and does not have any effects. So it is necessary that you take peppercorns or Bioperine, the only product that is sourced out of piperine to enhance the effect of Curcumin.

bobby

slightly off topic? GOLDEN MILK recipe (with turmeric and black pepper - supposed to be a healing drink. alternative to bulletproof coffee?)
http://wellnessmama.com/223/turmeric-tea-recipe/
Ingredients
  • 2 cups of milk or homemade coconut milk
  • 1 teaspoon Turmeric (where to find it)
  • ½ teaspoon Cinnamon (where to find it)
  • 1 teaspoon raw honey or maple syrup or to taste
  • Pinch of black pepper (increases absorption)
  • Tiny piece of fresh, peeled ginger root or ¼ tsp ginger powder
  • Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)

Instructions
  1. Blend all ingredients in a high speed blender until smooth.
  2. Pour into a small sauce pan and heat for 3-5 minutes over medium heat until hot but not boiling.
  3. Drink immediately

Who Me?

@bobby. Remy talked about this on my thread. You can take it with oils or if it's fermented. Bioperine has lots of bad side effects and contraindication with some Meds

I have to look into the blood thinning because I was going to take aspirin for histamine stuff. I was going to add K but I just read (but did not conpletely understand) that thryroid meds (just started) do something to K.

Maybe @Cort can move this the my turmeric curcumin thread so we don't derail Remys stuff.

San Diego

I have a history of anaphylaxis (insects and figs) with many trips to the ER, but it’s been years.

Now, over the past several months I’ve gotten progressively worsening reactions to things that were previously no problem. I don’t like the direction this thing is headed.

But I do love my version of bulletproof.

Side note: the version I made with pumpkin was awful! Fluffy, weird awfulness...... which I drank anyway. lol

Who Me?

@bobby @Lissa

from remy

You need something (fat, fermentation, bioperine/black pepper) to help turmeric absorb since it is so biologically unavailable. That's why I like the water soluble curcumin. :)

Bioperine is really powerful...and can be a great adjunct to a product to make a lower dose stronger. But you need to be careful because the list of interactions is long...

Wonderful blog post on piperine...

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources