Down-regulation of renin-aldosterone and ADH systems in patients with ME/CFS

Remy

Administrator
Down-regulation of renin-aldosterone and antidiuretic hormone systems in patients with myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome.

Miwa K. J Cardiol. 2016.
Show full citation
Abstract

BACKGROUND: Central nervous system dysfunction associated with myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME) has been postulated as the cause of chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS). A small heart or reduced left ventricular volume with reduced cardiac output has been reported to be common in patients with ME. The main circulatory blood volume regulators may be down-regulated.

METHODS: Plasma levels of the neurohumoral factors that regulate circulatory blood volume were determined in 18 patients with ME and 15 healthy subjects (Controls).

RESULTS: The echocardiographic examination revealed that the mean values for the left ventricular end-diastolic diameters, stroke volume index, and cardiac index as well as the mean blood pressure were all significantly smaller in the ME group than in the Controls.

The mean plasma renin activity (1.6±1.0ng/ml/h vs. 2.5±1.5ng/ml/h, p=0.06) was considerably lower in the ME group than in the Controls. Both the mean plasma aldosterone (104±37pg/ml vs. 157±67pg/ml, p=0.004) and antidiuretic hormone (ADH) (2.2±1.0pg/ml vs. 3.3±1.5pg/ml, p=0.02) concentrations were significantly lower in the ME group than in the Controls.

Desmopressin (120μg), a synthetic version of arginine vasopressin, was orally administered for five successive days to 10 patients with ME. In five patients (50%), the symptoms of orthostatic intolerance during a 10min active standing test were ameliorated in association with a significant increase in urinary osmotic pressure and decrease in heart rate. Furthermore, in five patients (50%), the performance status scores for the activities of daily living were improved.

CONCLUSIONS: Both the renin-aldosterone and ADH systems were down-regulated despite the existence of reduction in cardiac preload and output in patients with ME. Desmopressin improved symptoms in half of the patients.

Copyright © 2016 Japanese College of Cardiology. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Down-regulation of renin-aldosterone and antidiuretic hormone systems in patients with myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome.

Miwa K. J Cardiol. 2016.
Show full citation
Abstract

BACKGROUND: Central nervous system dysfunction associated with myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME) has been postulated as the cause of chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS). A small heart or reduced left ventricular volume with reduced cardiac output has been reported to be common in patients with ME. The main circulatory blood volume regulators may be down-regulated.

METHODS: Plasma levels of the neurohumoral factors that regulate circulatory blood volume were determined in 18 patients with ME and 15 healthy subjects (Controls).

RESULTS: The echocardiographic examination revealed that the mean values for the left ventricular end-diastolic diameters, stroke volume index, and cardiac index as well as the mean blood pressure were all significantly smaller in the ME group than in the Controls.

The mean plasma renin activity (1.6±1.0ng/ml/h vs. 2.5±1.5ng/ml/h, p=0.06) was considerably lower in the ME group than in the Controls. Both the mean plasma aldosterone (104±37pg/ml vs. 157±67pg/ml, p=0.004) and antidiuretic hormone (ADH) (2.2±1.0pg/ml vs. 3.3±1.5pg/ml, p=0.02) concentrations were significantly lower in the ME group than in the Controls.

Desmopressin (120μg), a synthetic version of arginine vasopressin, was orally administered for five successive days to 10 patients with ME. In five patients (50%), the symptoms of orthostatic intolerance during a 10min active standing test were ameliorated in association with a significant increase in urinary osmotic pressure and decrease in heart rate. Furthermore, in five patients (50%), the performance status scores for the activities of daily living were improved.

CONCLUSIONS: Both the renin-aldosterone and ADH systems were down-regulated despite the existence of reduction in cardiac preload and output in patients with ME. Desmopressin improved symptoms in half of the patients.

Copyright © 2016 Japanese College of Cardiology. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
Miwa has done I think three studies that found small hearts in ME/CFS patients. This should be interesting = I would have missed if not for you posting it - thanks.

Does anyone talk about desmopressin in ME/CFS?

Remy

Administrator
Miwa has done I think three studies that found small hearts in ME/CFS patients. This should be interesting = I would have missed if not for you posting it - thanks.

Does anyone talk about desmopressin in ME/CFS?
I think most of us qualify for needing desmo...I know my labs warranted it, but it's tricky to dose and hyponatremia is a real risk. I ultimately decided it wasn't worth the risk since my symptoms aren't that bad but always wonder about it. I think it can be life changing for people with diabetes insipidus.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources