Extreme 'adrenaline seizures'

Foggyfroggy

I don't know what else to call these things. They start with large muscle groups starting to twitch, then progress to over-all muscle tension that I can't break, and then extreme panic. Has anyone else ever had this? Feels like it comes from a misfiring brain, but who knows?? I'm already a severe, so this is terrifying to me as I can't afford to spend the energy and am literally worried I will die. The only way I can break them is by using xanax, but it just removes most of the panic and I haven't used xanax for 6 years because it quit working for me so I'm very worried it will do so again. Any ideas anyone? Does anyone else deal with this and do you know what it is and why? Any suggestions as to something that might help? I've tried CBD, Theanine, GABA, magnesium, and various anti-inflammatories like Cucurmin, and Boswellia.
Thanks in advance

dejurgen

Would you recognize the symptoms of dehydration if you had them (even if you might have it daily and it being your "normal")? Dehydration IMO can be (but one) source of what you describe.

If so, drinking more water ot plain salt water is not the solution. See https://www.healthrising.org/blog/2...al-rehydration-pots-chronic-fatigue-syndrome/ for great info on what is the WHO recommended formula and why. A local drug store should be able to sell it (the WHO formula) I guess. If you change something in the prone-to-backfiring state you are in, IMO *always* start changes low and slow, far lower then what is recommended on the box.

Why? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refeeding_syndrome is somewhat related to long term dehydration in the sense that both starvation and chronic dehydration can cause a strong osmolitic inbalance. "Correcting" it way too quick can cause massive and permanent damage to the nerve system and brain up to the point of death.

Just to stress the need to go low and slow in case you would have a severe hydration / osmolitic inbalance (due to some underlying health problem) (from the refeeding_syndrome link):
"When too much food or liquid nutrition supplement is eaten during the initial four to seven days following a malnutrition event... ...Cardiac, pulmonary and neurological symptoms can be signs of refeeding syndrome. The low serum minerals, if severe enough, can be fatal."

Issie

I remember a person on the POTS forum who described something similar. She did have POTS, but she had more. In the end her DX was Stiffman Syndrome and POTS was secondary. I don't know if this describes what you feel or not. But was the first thing that came to mind for me. I found some of the old links but can't find where she described her symptoms. I'll link what I could find.

Stiff-person syndrome (SPS) is a rare neurological disorder with features of an autoimmune disease. SPS is characterized by fluctuating muscle rigidity in the trunk and limbs and a heightened sensitivity to stimuli such as noise, touch, and emotional distress, which can set off muscle spasms. Abnormal postures, often hunched over and stiffened, are characteristic of the disorder. People with SPS can be too disabled to walk or move, or they are afraid to leave the house because street noises, such as the sound of a horn, can trigger spasms and falls.

Issie

What Dejurgen wrote about electrolytes could be a possibility and worth looking into. A doctor told us to sip the mixture, not to guzzle it, and have water in between. The cells can only uptake so much at one time and drinking a lot at once isn't the best way to get it into the cells and hydrate better.

Foggyfroggy

Would you recognize the symptoms of dehydration if you had them (even if you might have it daily and it being your "normal")? Dehydration IMO can be (but one) source of what you describe.

Thanks Dejurgen, for the input - I do drink enough I believe, and I also use the WHO fomula, especially when in a crash. I will be more consistent though after reading some of that. Interesting reading -

Foggyfroggy

Stiff-person syndrome (SPS) is a rare neurological disorder with features of an autoimmune disease. SPS is characterized by fluctuating muscle rigidity in the trunk and limbs and a heightened sensitivity to stimuli such as noise, touch, and emotional distress, which can set off muscle spasms. Abnormal postures, often hunched over and stiffened, are characteristic of the disorder. People with SPS can be too disabled to walk or move, or they are afraid to leave the house because street noises, such as the sound of a horn, can trigger spasms and falls.
[/QUOTE]

Oh God I hope not. How macabre is that? Thanks for the info - I certainly have never heard of that and I bet very few doctors have either!

Issie

I hope not either. But I remember her not knowing what was wrong and it took her awhile to find out. She thought it was a really severe form of POTS.

With POTS there can also be shaking and tremors and that too can cause anxiety feelings. It also can trigger MCAS and that too can cause severe anxiety. So there are several things that a neurologist may be able to sort out.

I sure hope you can get some WHYs and that gives one a starting place to get better.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources