Fasting

GrammaLinda

I have been researching fasting. Intermittant fasting. The claims indicate it forces the cells to work better as they were intended. Cleanses them, stimulates them, forces them to stimulate hormones such as HGH and insulin. Clears brain cells, and even mentions mitochondria. So I am wondering has there been any ME/CFS research on fasting? It has been around for millenia. I don't think our ancient ancestors sat down to 3 squares and 2 or 3 snacks a day. They also did not eat processed foods which I know is key to all health.
I am trying it, hopefully to satisfy some questions. Since I do not have much appetite anyway, and can only eat small amounts of anything I am possibly in a semi-state of fasting as it is. I actually forget to eat. Eating regularly (Healthy) has not helped my condition as it is and when I miss a meal or two I don't physically suffer any side effects. I do still gain weight. I ended a 20 hr fast yesterday at 7 p.m. then had a small balanced normal meal. I am going for 36 hrs on Monday-Tuesday. I drink water and possibly herbal chamomile tea - I grow my own. I imagine I am going to keep it up for a while - 6 weeks - for a fair trial.

PS - I am unable to exercise. A walk around the yard with my dog a couple of times a day is about it. By the end of every day I am totally wiped out.

Creekside

My guess is those claims are made in search of profits, somehow (treatment plans, talks, articles, etc). It's easy enough to take a few minor scientific findings well out of context and make it seem like a magic healing process (to be milked for money).

My ME started with a type IV food sensitivity to most foods. I tried fasting for five days. Unpleasant, and I didn't notice any significant benefits from it. My guess is that the chance of it providing someone with ME a benefit is slightly greater than the chance of it causing a worsening of ME, so I wouldn't recommend against trying it. I'm all in favour of experimentation.

As for weight control, fasting puts the body into famine mode, which reduces weight loss.

jaminhealth

My guess is those claims are made in search of profits, somehow (treatment plans, talks, articles, etc). It's easy enough to take a few minor scientific findings well out of context and make it seem like a magic healing process (to be milked for money).

My ME started with a type IV food sensitivity to most foods. I tried fasting for five days. Unpleasant, and I didn't notice any significant benefits from it. My guess is that the chance of it providing someone with ME a benefit is slightly greater than the chance of it causing a worsening of ME, so I wouldn't recommend against trying it. I'm all in favour of experimentation.

As for weight control, fasting puts the body into famine mode, which reduces weight loss.

And I have heard over the years fasting puts the body in famine fear and so the body holds on to the weight. My neighbor is always fasting and she's heavier than ever.

Eating moderate foods all day is what I do and fast when I sleep 8-10 good hrs...and stay away Big Time for sugars/carbs (white foods).....

GrammaLinda

I have been researching fasting. Intermittant fasting. The claims indicate it forces the cells to work better as they were intended. Cleanses them, stimulates them, forces them to stimulate hormones such as HGH and insulin. Clears brain cells, and even mentions mitochondria. So I am wondering has there been any ME/CFS research on fasting? It has been around for millenia. I don't think our ancient ancestors sat down to 3 squares and 2 or 3 snacks a day. They also did not eat processed foods which I know is key to all health.
I am trying it, hopefully to satisfy some questions. Since I do not have much appetite anyway, and can only eat small amounts of anything I am possibly in a semi-state of fasting as it is. I actually forget to eat. Eating regularly (Healthy) has not helped my condition as it is and when I miss a meal or two I don't physically suffer any side effects. I do still gain weight. I ended a 20 hr fast yesterday at 7 p.m. then had a small balanced normal meal. I am going for 36 hrs on Monday-Tuesday. I drink water and possibly herbal chamomile tea - I grow my own. I imagine I am going to keep it up for a while - 6 weeks - for a fair trial.

PS - I am unable to exercise. A walk around the yard with my dog a couple of times a day is about it. By the end of every day I am totally wiped out.
Soon after writing the above, I answered my own questions. Sure I lost some weight after intermittant. I do not believe our ancestors of hunters and gatherers stopped for 3 squares and a snack every day. However, I suffered from too many shorts and one 20 hr fast. I developed erratic heart rhythm, a return of atrial fib in spite of the meds I take daily for both, and severe shortness of breath which reminded me of my mother's congestive heart episodes. My blood pressure is already low, I have never been told to cut back on salt and I eat balanced including all meat. It is not for me and I urge you all to give it strong and informed consideration. It has to do with an electrolyte imbalance. Thank God my husband was home that day and I managed with great difficulty to msg "help" him to come to the bedroom. I was close to needing an ambulance.

I was referring to the study begun by a cardiologist who expected to see improvements in markers for heart disease, but it became apparent that it wasn't working. As far as weight loss goes, I think it's all over the place. A friend of mine dropped 20 pounds, but I'm having no luck at all

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources