Fecal Transplants Wipe Out Dangerous Bacteria

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
It was very simple.... one strain of mice always die from a bacteria Citrobacter rodentium but when they gave them a fecal transplant from another mouse, they survived. Whether they survived or not depended entirely on what kind of bacteria they had in their guts. Powerful stuff!

The jist - fecal transplants may ultimately come to you in your doctor's office in the form of a pill

Imagine a world where ‘eat shit’ isn’t an insult, but way to save your life. Pathogen microbiologist Brett Finlay of the University of British Columbia has shown that, in mice, resistance to a deadly e. coli-like bacterium depends on their gut microbes – and that those microbes can be swapped around by effectively feeding the mice each others’ feces.

Finlay looked at a mouse model of e. coli 0157, a bug that often contaminates hamburger meat. In mice, the equivalent bug is called Citrobacter rodentium. One strain of mice (called NIH Swiss) is known to be resistant to this pathogen. Another (C3H/HeJ) is known to quickly fall victim to the bug – all will die within a couple of weeks of exposure.

Finlay wiped out the normal gut bacteria of someC3H/HeJ mice with antibiotics, and then fed them a dose of treated NIH Swiss feces to repopulate their guts (through a technique called ‘oral lavage’, involving a feeding tube). This upped their survival rate from 0 to nearly 80%, he told the International Human Microbiome Congress in Vancouver, Canada, on Thursday. Feeding NIH Swiss mice with C3H/HeJ microbes similarly caused their downfall.

“When 100 people at a wedding eat the potato salad, only a few get sick,” says Finlay. He thinks these as-yet-unpublished results might help to explain why. “Resistance to many diseases could be from our microbiota,” he extrapolates. The results aren’t surprising, says Finlay, but nail down proof for an effect that most microbiologists assumed could happen.

Fecal transplants are already done for some people with serious colon infections; feces are taken from someone, usually a relative, and introduced rectally into the patient. But experiments like Smith’s and Finlay’s could help to point the way towards clinical applications (including preventative measures) for less serious conditions, with less invasive treatments – perhaps with a pill.

Who Me?

The jist - fecal transplants may ultimately come to you in your doctor's office in the form of a pill

I hope so because the Ick factor is just too much. I actually read about how to do home transplants GROSS!!

Cort

Staff member
Did I ever tell you about the time (the times actually) when I was camping out when I mistook my pee bottle for my water bottle....:stop::stop::stop:

Who Me?

Did I ever tell you about the time (the times actually) when I was camping out when I mistook my pee bottle for my water bottle....:stop::stop::stop:

No but pee is sterile so that doesn't gross me out nearly as much. And TMI!!!

Cort

Staff member
It wasn't pleasant I'll tell you that much...

San Diego

I hope so because the Ick factor is just too much. I actually read about how to do home transplants GROSS!!
Ick factor? If you told me drinking poo would cure me, 100% guarantee, I’d be the first in line lol.

File under #GrossTruthsAboutSanDiego

Who Me?

Ick factor? If you told me drinking poo would cure me, 100% guarantee, I’d be the first in line lol.

File under #GrossTruthsAboutSanDiego

Rat poo capsules. Yes. Eating shit? They'd have to do some serious clinical trials for 100% cure before I'd do it.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources