Feeling Stressed And Frazzled?

berkuras

Your keep calm plan
Feeling stressed and frazzled? Our easy-to-follow planner will help you stay zen all day.
START THE DAY
with a spot of mindfulness meditation,proven to beat anxiety and stress. Just sit quietly for 10 minutes (set the stopwatch on your phone so you don’t keep looking at the time) and breathe in slowly through your nose, then out again. Focus on your breath. When thoughts creep in, just watch them drift away again.

HAVE A TENSION-BUSTING BREAKFAST.
Try porridge made with almond milk,with 2tsp almond butter stirred in just before the end of cooking and topped with blueberries. The oats are high in nerve-soothing B vitamins and the almonds contain relaxation super nutrient magnesium, while the blend of complex carbs and protein will keep your mood and energy steady.
CRANK UP THE RADIO
while you get ready for work. Listening to a burst of your favourite upbeat music triggers a surge of feelgood dopamine, dissolving sluggishness and stress, Canadian research has found.

TAKE A BRISK WALK,
even if it’s just part of the way to work – it will clear your mind, ready for the day ahead. Ideally go via some green space, such as a park or a stretch of woodland – Scottish researchers found walking in nature helped people feel calm fast.
TROUBLESHOOT STRESS.
If demanding emails or a difficult phone call are ramping up the tension, don’t make the mistake of telling yourself you’re having a bad day. This is what’s known as a negative automatic thought and is guaranteed to lower your mood, says women’s health expert Dr Alice Domar. ‘Instead, tell yourself it’s just a bad 15 minutes,’ she says. This acknowledges the difficulties, but keeps them in perspective.
HIT A LUNCHTIME EXERCISE CLASS.
Stress is a physical response, involving powerful hormones like cortisol and adrenaline – so to blitz it you need a physical activity. Working out can produce new neurons that help protect your brain from stress. The good news? You can pick your favourite activity: yoga, strength training and cardio have all been shown to help. And keep at it – the calming effects increase if you exercise consistently, shows research from the University of Colorado, US.
OPT FOR A SLOW-RELEASE LUNCH.
‘Combine protein with complex carbohydrates, so that energy is released steadily through the afternoon,’ says nutrition consultant Ian Marber. Try a wholegrain pitta stuffed with salad and mackerel.

PUT THE KETTLE ON
– and make your cuppa peppermint tea. To o much caffeine can make you feel jittery and may disrupt your sleep later if you drink it in the afternoon. So swap your usual builder’s brew for refreshing peppermint tea – the menthol it contains acts as a relaxant.
MEET UP WITH YOUR MATES.
Having a laugh with friends is a surefire way to calm you. ‘It gives you a sense of connection, which we know is important in stress management,’ says stress expert Professor Sir Cary Cooper. However, don’t be tempted to swig too many glasses of wine – research shows that drinking too much alcohol can actually prolong feelings of stress.
EAT A MEAL CONTAINING TURKEY,
high in the amino acid tryptophan,which can help soothe you and encourage a good night’s sleep. Want something sweet for afters? Finish up with plain yogurt topped with chopped dates, also high in tryptophan (and not too bad on the calorific front, either).

HAVE A BATH
with a soothing essential oil blend. Lavender’s the traditional calming oil, but you could also try jasmine, which has mild sedative properties, or bergamot, to help balance you. Or add a few drops of a blend like Neal’s Yard Remedies Calming Aromatherapy Blend, £9.70/10ml.

MAKE A GRATITUDE LIST
before bed. Writing down five things you’re grateful for every week can improve your outlook on life within just two months – plus you’ll sleep better, according to research from the University of Miami, US.

Feeling Stressed And Frazzled?

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
I like the mind/body stuff - the exercise stuff really does not apply...at least to ME/CFS. I wish I could relieve stress by going on a nice brisk walk! I used to reduce stress by going on a nice brisk run! All it gets me now is more pain..

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources