General Anesthesia

Have you had a response to general anesthesia?

• I have used general anesthesia and I had a good response.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have used general anesthesia and I had a bad response.

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • I have used general anesthesia and I had no noticeable response.

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

Tina

I have been recommended to have have a video assisted lung biopsy. I will be put under a general anesthetic and put on a ventilator for the procedure. In light of Mike Dessin's post and his comments about minor surgery and general anesthesia, I thought I would query the group regarding general anesthesia.

GG

I enquired about the same thing. I willl attach a few docs for you to consider/print.

GG

Attachments

• Anesthesia letter Cheney page, to Whom it May concern.pdf
    23.3 KB · Views: 231
  • FOR PERSONS WITH CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME (OR Fibromyalgia) Who are anticipating surgery.pdf
    22.9 KB · Views: 214
  • ME and CFS and FM ANESTHESIA WARNING Anesthesia-Card2.pdf
    43.1 KB · Views: 253

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Also check out Pat's story in the Surgery Resource section on HR -
Surviving Surgery with ME/CFS and FM: Pat's Story

I was very struck with another ME/CFS/FM patient how important it was to have saline AFTER surgery...She was knocked so low by surgery and was lingering on and on but it was a simple saline treatment that started to bring her back.

Good luck!

I would also try, if you can, to get ketamine in your anesthesia! and see if you have a good response such as Dr. Liptan's patients have. :wacky:

Cort

Staff member
This is a great post!! Wish I knew all this before my surgery but alot of people are going to benefit from all this information!
Your story will acquaint many more people with the dangers of surgeries and hopefully ways to prevent them.

Wayne

I have been recommended to have have a video assisted lung biopsy. I will be put under a general anesthetic and put on a ventilator for the procedure. In light of Mike Dessin's post and his comments about minor surgery and general anesthesia, I thought I would query the group regarding general anesthesia.

Hi Tina,

Good idea to query the group. I had a VERY bad experience with general anesthesia when I had arthroscopic knee surgery. I awoke feeling incredibly weak and nauseated to the point of having a very difficult time moving. I felt these effects for at least the next six months, and doubt that I ever fully recovered from the experience.

In the process of discussing this with my surgeon, he casually mentioned that perhaps we should have done a local anesthesia instead. He didn't tell me beforehand that this was an option! I wonder if a local anesthesia would be an option in your case.

I've come to believe most doctors and surgeons are far too casual about the use of general anesthesia, and the multiple dangers they can present--I think especially for pwME/CFS. I think they're also often way to eager to do procedures that aren't necessarily a high priority. I think it behooves us all to do whatever we can to inform ourselves of anything recommended by any health care practitioner.

Best, Wayne

Cort

Staff member
Hi Tina,

Good idea to query the group. I had a VERY bad experience with general anesthesia when I had arthroscopic knee surgery. I awoke feeling incredibly weak and nauseated to the point of having a very difficult time moving. I felt these effects for at least the next six months, and doubt that I ever fully recovered from the experience.

In the process of discussing this with my surgeon, he casually mentioned that perhaps we should have done a local anesthesia instead. He didn't tell me beforehand that this was an option! I wonder if a local anesthesia would be an option in your case.

I've come to believe most doctors and surgeons are far too casual about the use of general anesthesia, and the multiple dangers they can present--I think especially for pwME/CFS. I think they're also often way to eager to do procedures that aren't necessarily a high priority. I think it behooves us all to do whatever we can to inform ourselves of anything recommended by any health care practitioner.

Best, Wayne
Wow - great recommendation Wayne - sorry you had to go through that....but hopefully your experience will help others.

Cort

Staff member
Hi Tina,

Best, Wayne
All the resources mentioned available in Health Rising's Resource Section on Surgery. I added this including your story Wayne, to Dr. Lapp's regimen...

If you are wondering if you should take precautions regarding surgery please stop wondering - you should! Please check the Mike Dessin's story of a mostly recovered ME/CFS patient who tumbled back into severe ME/CFS after minor surgery (with general anesthesia). I know of another person with moderate ME/CFS who suffered terribly after another minor surgery (with general anesthesia). She began to recover after getting saline infusions. Here's Wayne's story

I had a VERY bad experience with general anesthesia when I had arthroscopic knee surgery. I awoke feeling incredibly weak and nauseated to the point of having a very difficult time moving. I felt these effects for at least the next six months, and doubt that I ever fully recovered from the experience.

Please also see Pat's story of a successful surgical outcome after she took precautions.

Tina

My brain is too squishy at the moment to respond adequately to all that has been posted, but here goes…

First of all, I am thankful for this forum. It is a comfort to have a place where I can ask questions and not have to try to explain the 8 years of research that I have done to understand the language and concepts of this dastardly illness.

I have no doubt that as the years roll by that I am becoming more and more sensitive to everything. In fact, I realized after reading this forum, that I probably had a reaction to laughing gas the last time I had a dental procedure just two months ago. I have had laughing gas many times in my life (all for dental procedures) and never had any reaction, but this last time I developed a severe runny nose that lasted for three days.

In my case, I don’t see any way around the general anesthesia for the lung biopsy because I will be put on a ventilator. I don’t think they can use a local anesthetic for that. So, I think the best I can do is to educate myself and pass the information along to the medical team and whoever accompanies me to have the surgery.

I suspect that the medical team will mostly not believe me, but I will have it in writing and submit it and if something starts to go south, maybe they will think to refer to the submitted information. I like the idea of the medical alert card and the request for saline ahead of the surgery that is mentioned in Pat’s story. I have printed the card and Dr. Lapp’s and Dr. Cheney’s information.

Thank you all.

Cort

Staff member
My brain is too squishy at the moment to respond adequately to all that has been posted, but here goes…

First of all, I am thankful for this forum. It is a comfort to have a place where I can ask questions and not have to try to explain the 8 years of research that I have done to understand the language and concepts of this dastardly illness.

I have no doubt that as the years roll by that I am becoming more and more sensitive to everything. In fact, I realized after reading this forum, that I probably had a reaction to laughing gas the last time I had a dental procedure just two months ago. I have had laughing gas many times in my life (all for dental procedures) and never had any reaction, but this last time I developed a severe runny nose that lasted for three days.

In my case, I don’t see any way around the general anesthesia for the lung biopsy because I will be put on a ventilator. I don’t think they can use a local anesthetic for that. So, I think the best I can do is to educate myself and pass the information along to the medical team and whoever accompanies me to have the surgery.

I suspect that the medical team will mostly not believe me, but I will have it in writing and submit it and if something starts to go south, maybe they will think to refer to the submitted information. I like the idea of the medical alert card and the request for saline ahead of the surgery that is mentioned in Pat’s story. I have printed the card and Dr. Lapp’s and Dr. Cheney’s information.

Thank you all.
When does your surgery happen Tina?

Good luck with the surgical team. You can but try....Even if they don't do as requested make sure to have your doctor order saline AFTER the surgery...That's what bounced one patient out pf her relapse.

Tina

@Cort , thank you for inquiring about my surgery. I am really on the fence about the surgery. I could have it done almost any time or I could chose to just have a chest CT scan and full Pulmonary Function Tests every 6 months. I am more scared than ever about the surgery. But they will not officially diagnose me with interstitial lung disease (it will remain, "suspected interstitial lung disease"), nor will they treat me in anyway, unless I have the biopsy. Add to that the fact that I don't have much of a support system and well, I am feeling kind of stuck in my decision making process.

I think eventually I will have the surgery and when I do, I will update the group.

Merry

@Cort , thank you for inquiring about my surgery. I am really on the fence about the surgery. I could have it done almost any time or I could chose to just have a chest CT scan and full Pulmonary Function Tests every 6 months. I am more scared than ever about the surgery. But they will not officially diagnose me with interstitial lung disease (it will remain, "suspected interstitial lung disease"), nor will they treat me in anyway, unless I have the biopsy. Add to that the fact that I don't have much of a support system and well, I am feeling kind of stuck in my decision making process.

I think eventually I will have the surgery and when I do, I will update the group.

Good luck, Tina. I can see why this is a difficult decision. I guess you have some time, though, to collect your thoughts and make arrangements. Yes, let us know how you get along.

Wayne

nor will they treat me in anyway, unless I have the biopsy.

Hi @Tina

Sorry to hear how much distress this is causing you. I did a bit of searching online about naturally treating lung diseases, and came across what I feel is a most valuable find for myself. I got so enthused, that I sent out an email to some friends and relatives briefly describing it. I don't know if you're into natural or alternative therapies, but thought I'd share the email I sent out a few minutes ago.

Wishing you the best as you deal with this most difficult health issue. -- Wayne

Dear Friends (and Relatives),

I just watched a short 6-min video, and now anticipate the H2O2 Inhalation Method described in it will definitely become part of my own health repertoire. What gives it a lot of credibility to me--even though I just discovered it--is that it's being promoted by the Founder and CEO of Earth Clinic (a self-help website promoting natural therapies I check in with quite often). Here's a link to Earth Clinic: -- The Hydrogen Method by Bill Munro.

In the video, Deirdre Layne says it's one of her favorite remedies, and I'd guess she's become aware of a LOT of different remedies over the years. She mentions how Bill Munro used it to clear some cancers from his system, and also how it's excellent for a variety of lung issues, like asthma, COPD, coughs, etc. Effectively killing viruses viruses during cold and flu season also appears to be one of its strong suites.

I noticed many of the conditions that are effectively treated by hydrogen peroxide inhalation are also conditions I've read are helped by inhaling nebulized iodine (breathing in a mist with iodine added). So I will likely experiment with adding a bit of iodine to the H2O2 solution. Given some of the preservatives used in conventional 3% H2O2 (that's recommended in the video,) I'll likely substitute it with food grade H2O2, and dilute it to 3%.

All the Best, Wayne

The Hydrogen Peroxide Inhalation Method by Bill Munro

Deirdre Layne, Earth Clinic's Founder and CEO, demonstrates how she uses Bill Munro's Hydrogen Peroxide Inhalation Method for early onset of viruses. http ...​

Tina

Hi @Tina

Sorry to hear how much distress this is causing you. I did a bit of searching online about naturally treating lung diseases, and came across what I feel is a most valuable find for myself. I got so enthused, that I sent out an email to some friends and relatives briefly describing it. I don't know if you're into natural or alternative therapies, but thought I'd share the email I sent out a few minutes ago.

Wishing you the best as you deal with this most difficult health issue. -- Wayne

Dear Friends (and Relatives),

I just watched a short 6-min video, and now anticipate the H2O2 Inhalation Method described in it will definitely become part of my own health repertoire. What gives it a lot of credibility to me--even though I just discovered it--is that it's being promoted by the Founder and CEO of Earth Clinic (a self-help website promoting natural therapies I check in with quite often). Here's a link to Earth Clinic: -- The Hydrogen Method by Bill Munro.

In the video, Deirdre Layne says it's one of her favorite remedies, and I'd guess she's become aware of a LOT of different remedies over the years. She mentions how Bill Munro used it to clear some cancers from his system, and also how it's excellent for a variety of lung issues, like asthma, COPD, coughs, etc. Effectively killing viruses viruses during cold and flu season also appears to be one of its strong suites.

I noticed many of the conditions that are effectively treated by hydrogen peroxide inhalation are also conditions I've read are helped by inhaling nebulized iodine (breathing in a mist with iodine added). So I will likely experiment with adding a bit of iodine to the H2O2 solution. Given some of the preservatives used in conventional 3% H2O2 (that's recommended in the video,) I'll likely substitute it with food grade H2O2, and dilute it to 3%.

All the Best, Wayne

The Hydrogen Peroxide Inhalation Method by Bill Munro

Deirdre Layne, Earth Clinic's Founder and CEO, demonstrates how she uses Bill Munro's Hydrogen Peroxide Inhalation Method for early onset of viruses. http ...​
Please keep us posted on how the Hydrogen Peroxide treatments go. I had looked into about two years ago. I am not too ill to try much of anything.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources