Getting into Rest and Digest Mode During Relaxation Breaks

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
I'm now taking my relaxation breaks very seriously.it's part of my renewed focus on an overall health plan.

I'm taking them more frequently - but when I'm jacked up - as I often am - it's still hard to calm down very quickly....

I wonder if anyone has any suggestions about music I could download to my phone or computer and listen to or other ways to quickly get in to Rest and Digest mode?

Abrin

I wonder if anyone has any suggestions about music I could download to my phone or computer and listen to or other ways to quickly get in to Rest and Digest mode?

I listen to audiobooks or binaural beats to help focus my over-anxious mind. I find that if I listen to music that my brain can still ruminate. If I listen to an audiobook or binaural beats then it is harder to ruminate. It isn't impossible but it does make it harder. It depends on how over-anxious my mind originally is when I start. (*laughs*)

I also enjoyed the Headspace app but because I couldn't afford a subscription I found I got bored with its 10 free lessons quickly.

rebar

Several months ago i came across Olarfur Arnalds, Icelandic I believe. I have since purchased 6 of his Cd's. His music is unique, has a a deeply calming effect. Most evenings we keep the 6 cd's cycling.

I also use when I'm on my bed of nails and meditating.

Cort

Staff member
I listen to audiobooks or binaural beats to help focus my over-anxious mind. I find that if I listen to music that my brain can still ruminate. If I listen to an audiobook or binaural beats then it is harder to ruminate. It isn't impossible but it does make it harder. It depends on how over-anxious my mind originally is when I start. (*laughs*)

I also enjoyed the Headspace app but because I couldn't afford a subscription I found I got bored with its 10 free lessons quickly.
I don't think anything with regular beats would help me either.

Cort

Staff member
Several months ago i came across Olarfur Arnalds, Icelandic I believe. I have since purchased 6 of his Cd's. His music is unique, has a a deeply calming effect. Most evenings we keep the 6 cd's cycling.

I also use when I'm on my bed of nails and meditating.

I'll give it a shot - thanks :)

Zapped

I'm now taking my relaxation breaks very seriously.it's part of my renewed focus on an overall health plan.

I'm taking them more frequently - but when I'm jacked up - as I often am - it's still hard to calm down very quickly....

Going outside helps me, especially when I feel the stress dynamics, e.g. finger tingling, ultra sensitive hearing, chest tightening. Walking around the yard eases these symptoms. Then in on the sofa, a little 'world music', from different nationalities, especially oriental soothes - I just drift with the images of what it conveys to me... .

Remy

Administrator
Did you try the trick about laying on the floor with your feet and lower legs up on a chair to direct blood flow back to the core? That actually did reliably shift me into parasympathetic dominance after a while.

Paw

My only practical suggestion is one of those head/neck cushions that provide mild neck traction, pulling the head from the shoulders. Mine (a cheapie from Amazon) has pressure-point fingers for the lower neck, which I enjoy relaxing into (they can be painful at first); but most importantly the cushion keeps my head, jaw, neck, shoulders, and top of spine in alignment. Without it, I realize I'm always subtly struggling to support the alignment of all those areas.

If you're like me, however, full rest will remain difficult as long as you remain ambitious. Unfortunately, at least so far, my disease management comes with a necessary emptying of goals and participation. After the depressive phase passed (depressive due to the inability to keep pursuing my life's work) I found myself able to rest easily. I lie down whenever I feel the need -- several times a day -- and quickly become very empty. Then I can get up and get a little work done on simple goals such as picking some basil for dinner.

Of course I do not suggest this path for you, as we rely on your hard work! Any pressure you might feel is for the greater good!

Abrin

Did you try the trick about laying on the floor with your feet and lower legs up on a chair to direct blood flow back to the core? That actually did reliably shift me into parasympathetic dominance after a while.

I know this is a super old thread, but I did want to ask you Remy if you found that your feet got uncomfortably cold while in that position?

I like the position but my feet get so uncomfortably cold that I can never do it more than a couple of minutes.

Remy

Administrator
I know this is a super old thread, but I did want to ask you Remy if you found that your feet got uncomfortably cold while in that position?

I like the position but my feet get so uncomfortably cold that I can never do it more than a couple of minutes.
No, that wasn't an issue for me, but I can see how it might happen. I suppose extra socks would be too easy?

Abrin

No, that wasn't an issue for me, but I can see how it might happen. I suppose extra socks would be too easy?

For some reason my body is SUPER weird and my feet have a tendency to get more cold in socks instead of less.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources