heartburn drugs linked to risk of dementia

Hello!

Or dementia might reduce control over the stomach/esophageal sphincter increasing the need for PPI's, or lead to dietary changes which increase the need for PPI's.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member

Who Me?

im trying to figure out if I'm have reflux issues. Those are the last things if take

I do think ACV, which had been my go to, caused serious bloat last night. Or it was the baking soda.

What else is there?

madie

I've lived with "silent reflux" for almost 2 years. I don't get heartburn as long as I'm careful with my diet, but I clear my throat all day long. I'm still experimenting to see if I can heal it. ACV didn't do anything for me.

Who Me?

I was just sitting up for an hour and no real problem. Since absolutely nothing changed for me, I think it is more stress related.

Don't know for sure but I'm not as freaked out as i was by it. I'll just experiment with stuff that helps relieve it. Some times, like now, I can't sit up so I have to just tolerate it.

Paw

Ugh, yet another awful possible scenario for PPI users.

I've tried (for 15 years) everything from diet to supplements to fresh juices to management of exercise and meals, but my acid reflux always comes back with a vengeance. If you're not sure whether you have the full-blown disease, you probably don't (IMO). The pain comes daily, like clockwork, and is overwhelming. Thank God for PPIs. (BTW, you can't exercise when you have acid reflux, so it's a vicious cycle.)

But if you're dealing with occasional issues, I'll bet it's much better to rely on piecemeal treatment. Keep a package of nice peppermint Tums nearby.

Carole

This is big news. These drugs are used commonly but may also increase the risk of heart disease and kidney disease. Doctors are now recommended to use them only after everything else fails.
I have GERD and a Hiatal Hernia. I am using Zantac 2 x a day 150 mg. However I have a constant cough and Gastro Dr. wants me on PP. I am not going to take it. I also have placque in one of my arteries in heart. However my Endoscopy showed Gerd and HH. All lungs are clear so has to be coming from fluid with Gerd. I am sleeping somewhat elevated -which does help until I start moving around then the coughing starts. Am trying Benadryl but can only use child's dosage of 1 tsp daily at night. I weigh 100 lbs. Gluten free only have veggies some fish and no lactose. Anyone know anything eels I can do for Gerd? Also on CPAP machine.

Carole

Ugh, yet another awful possible scenario for PPI users.

I've tried (for 15 years) everything from diet to supplements to fresh juices to management of exercise and meals, but my acid reflux always comes back with a vengeance. If you're not sure whether you have the full-blown disease, you probably don't (IMO). The pain comes daily, like clockwork, and is overwhelming. Thank God for PPIs. (BTW, you can't exercise when you have acid reflux, so it's a vicious cycle.)

But if you're dealing with occasional issues, I'll bet it's much better to rely on piecemeal treatment. Keep a package of nice peppermint Tums nearby.
Diet does make a difference with my Acid Relux. No citric acid -fruits, Gluten free with Rice when I have a flair. Most of mine is with Coughing now. So bad I have pulled neck and back muscles. No pain with the reflux just the choking sensation. You can exercise just not the bending stomach issues.

Hello!

I have GERD and a Hiatal Hernia. I am using Zantac 2 x a day 150 mg. However I have a constant cough and Gastro Dr. wants me on PP. I am not going to take it. I also have placque in one of my arteries in heart. However my Endoscopy showed Gerd and HH. All lungs are clear so has to be coming from fluid with Gerd. I am sleeping somewhat elevated -which does help until I start moving around then the coughing starts. Am trying Benadryl but can only use child's dosage of 1 tsp daily at night. I weigh 100 lbs. Gluten free only have veggies some fish and no lactose. Anyone know anything eels I can do for Gerd? Also on CPAP machine.
Elevate the head of your bed, avoid fatty, spicy, and acidic foods, as well as chocolate, soda, coffee, and tea. Surgical intervention can be very effective, but you need to find a skilled GI surgeon.

Who Me?

In the month since I posted, what I do know is that it's not heartburn, reflux or anything GI related. It's some crazy ME thing that I'll figure out on my own.

Suggesting surgery seems a bit extreme.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources