Herbal combo

Croatoan

@RuthAnn
Arginine is out for me as it can reactivate varicella/shingles, but i am using lysine currently at 1000mg bid..

Yes, this is getting interesting for me. I am wondering the role Biotin could have in relation to viral infections like HSV. I do not know if it will be good or bad. This is interesting: http://jcp.bmj.com/content/45/9/788.short
To me it looks like excess biotin made the HSV test give a negative reading. But that tells me nothing about symptoms.

I think biotin is more in control of fungal issues like candida and mazelessa (sp?).

RuthAnn

I don't know about biotin and immune function but I just found this about B6, maybe a sort of tangent, hope no one minds.

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/vitamins/vitamin-B6#disease-prevention

Several enzymatic reactions in the tryptophan-kynurenine pathway are dependent on vitamin B6 coenzyme, pyridoxal 5'-phosphate (PLP) (see Figure 2 above) (see Tryptophan metabolism). This pathway is known to be activated during pro-inflammatory immune responses and plays a critical role in immune tolerance of the fetus during pregnancy (15). Key intermediates in the tryptophan-kynurenine pathway are involved in the regulation of immune responses. Several tryptophan derivatives have been found to induce the death (apoptosis) or block the proliferation of certain types of immune cells, such aslymphocytes (in particular T-helper 1). They can also inhibit the production of pro-inflammatory cytokines (reviewed in 15). There is evidence to suggest that adequate vitamin B6 intake is important for optimal immune system function, especially in older individuals (16, 17). Yet, chronic inflammation that triggers tryptophan degradation and underlies many diseases (e.g.,cardiovascular disease and cancers) may precipitate the loss of PLP and increase vitamin B6 requirements. Additional research is needed to evaluate whether vitamin B6 intakes higher than the current RDA could prevent and/or reverse immune system impairments (see also Vitamin B6 and inflammation).

Issie

I'm finding R5P to be helpful as for getting methylation going in right direction. Also P5P and methyl B12 and Methyl Folate.

If there is an issue in the kyrienine pathway, tryptophan can go down the wrong pathway and instead of causing a calming effect in the GABA pathway causes a very agitated response going into quinolinic acid and a higher glutamate response. Could cause over activation of the autonomic nervous system. Have to figure methylation out and where your mutation could be and if it's activated or not. Taking amino acids and not knowing how you are processing them, could be a disaster. So if there is an issue in kyrienine pathway (pyrolori may be an issue) - P5P, zinc and EPO may be beneficial. There could be an imbalance between copper to zinc ratios that can contribute.

See other comments I've made on the forum about my research on this.

Issie

Croatoan

I'm finding R5P to be helpful as for getting methylation going in right direction. Also P5P and methyl B12 and Methyl Folate.

If there is an issue in the kyrienine pathway, tryptophan can go down the wrong pathway and instead of causing a calming effect in the GABA pathway causes a very agitated response going into quinolinic acid and a higher glutamate response. Could cause over activation of the autonomic nervous system. Have to figure methylation out and where your mutation could be and if it's activated or not. Taking amino acids and not knowing how you are processing them, could be a disaster. So if there is an issue in kyrienine pathway (pyrolori may be an issue) - P5P, zinc and EPO may be beneficial. There could be an imbalance between copper to zinc ratios that can contribute.

See other comments I've made on the forum about my research on this.

Issie

This, yes:

"Taking amino acids and not knowing how you are processing them, could be a disaster."

To me the three big cofactors that will be found deficienct in most late onset diseases are B2, B6, and Biotin. They will all effect the KYN pathway as well as many others.

I have some very specific signals when I need B6; fatigue, depressed mood and backache. But I rarely need to take it. FAD (B2) is needed to turn Kynuernine into Quinolinic acid through the KMO enzyme.

Glad to read your stuff!

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources