HHV-6 Enzyme - Potential Biomarker for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS)

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Check out who's in this below - Nancy Klimas, Mary Fletcher and Marshall Williams - three ME/CFS researchers. HHV-6 pops up again!

Antibodies to herpesvirus dUTPase a potential biomarker for Gulf War Illness and CFS

In All, Autoimmune Disease, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, CNS Disease, CNS Dysfunction, Cognitive Dysfunction, Latest Scientific News by Kristin LoomisApril 23, 2017

Herpesvirus-encoded dUTPases can trigger modulation of genes involved in chronic inflammation, T-cell function, and neurotransmitter function. A group from Ohio State University led by Maria Aziza, PhD, found that antibodies to HHV-6 and VZV dUTPases were significantly elevated in Gulf War Illness (GWI) patients compared to controls. EBV dUTPase antibodies were elevated in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) patients.

Also, the CFS and GWI groups exhibited increased autoimmunity; 15% of CFS and 39% of GWI patients had autoantibodies against human dUTPase, compared to 4.7% among controlsAs the herpesvirus dUTPases are only expressed during viral replication or active “abortive” infection, they are a good indicator of viral activity. 49% of CFS patients co-expressed antibodies to both HHV-6 and EBV dUTPases, and 55% were positive for HHV-6.

Read the whole blog below

https://hhv-6foundation.org/cogniti...ential-biomarker-for-gulf-war-illness-and-cfs

J Med Virol. 2017 Mar 17. doi: 10.1002/jmv.24810. [Epub ahead of print]Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Gulf War Illness patients exhibit increased humoral responses to the Herpesviruses-encoded dUTPase: Implications in disease pathophysiology.
Halpin P1, Williams MV1,2, Klimas NG3,4, Fletcher MA3,4, Barnes Z3,5, Ariza ME1,2.

Abstract

Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) and Gulf War Illness (GWI) are debilitating diseases with overlapping symptomology and there are currently no validated tests for definitive diagnosis of either syndrome. While there is evidence supporting the premise that some herpesviruses may act as possible triggers of ME/CFS, the involvement of herpesviruses in the pathophysiology of GWI has not been studied in spite of a higher prevalence of ME/CFS in these patients.

We have previously demonstrated that the deoxyuridine triphosphate nucleotidohydrolases (dUTPase) encoded by Epstein-Barr virus (EBV), human herpesvirus-6 (HHV-6), and varicella-zoster virus (VZV) possess novel functions in innate and adaptive immunity. The results of this study demonstrate that a significant percentage of patients with ME/CFS (30.91-52.7%) and GWI (29.34%) are simultaneously producing antibodies against multiple human herpesviruses-encoded dUTPases and/or the human dUTPase when compared to controls (17.21%). GWI patients exhibited significantly higher levels of antibodies to the HHV-6 and human dUTPases than controls (p = 0.0053 and p = 0.0036, respectively), while the ME/CFS cohort had higher anti-EBV-dUTPase antibodies than in both GWI patients (p = 0.0008) and controls (p < 0.0001) as well as significantly higher anti-human dUTPase antibodies than in controls (p = 0.0241).

These results suggest that screening of patients' sera for the presence of various combinations of anti-dUTPase antibodies could be used as potential biomarkers to help identify/distinguish patients with these syndromes and better direct treatment.

Farmgirl

Interesting! Don't understand why, but I am positive for this and probably have been a long time. It would be nice to know why our bodies cannot fight these bugs, since almost all people have been exposed to this. Dr. Peterson said, if I recall correctly, that upon testing a group with ME, the spinal taps showed abnormal levels of HHV6 in the spinal fluid, Although the same virus did not show in the blood tests.

Maria Aziza worked with Dr. Lerner before he passed away and he did a lot of research viral infections in ME and treatment with antivirals. He started I have been on AVs for 2 weeks. We'll see. My mom used to say "the proof is in the pudding".

Some children with vaccine damage and autism are getting diagnosed with Immune Deficiency Dysfunctions. I have had two vaccine reactions I think are associated with my ME somehow. Thanks for this useful info.

Farmgirl

Hi, gotta check my tests. I am not sure yet if it matters, but each number of HHV seems to be a different type of virus. What is yours? Whatever I have it is crazy cuz our son got a cancer at age 6 that was EBV related. Long story.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources