Host gene expression during post-exertional symptom flare in ME/CFS: a hypothesis generating study

JennyJenny

Host gene expression during post-exertional symptom flare in ME/CFS: a hypothesis generating study
Principal Investigators Dr David Patrick and colleagues

Institution School of Population and Public Health, University of British Columbia, British Columbia, Canada

Funding National Institutes of Health & ME Research UK

Background and aim

A hallmark of ME/CFS is that symptoms are made worse by exercise, sometimes 24-48 hours afterwards, even if the exercise is quite mild by normal standards. Even the 2007 NICE Clinical Guideline requires “post-exertional” symptoms (delayed, with slow recovery over several days) for a diagnosis to be made. This is why various research groups over the years have tried to measure physiological changes before and after exercise, and have reported differences in immune parameters and oxidative stress following exercise in ME/CFS patients compared with healthy people (see a review).

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Principal Investigators Dr David Patrick and colleagues

Institution School of Population and Public Health, University of British Columbia, British Columbia, Canada

Funding National Institutes of Health & ME Research UK

Background and aim

A hallmark of ME/CFS is that symptoms are made worse by exercise, sometimes 24-48 hours afterwards, even if the exercise is quite mild by normal standards. Even the 2007 NICE Clinical Guideline requires “post-exertional” symptoms (delayed, with slow recovery over several days) for a diagnosis to be made. This is why various research groups over the years have tried to measure physiological changes before and after exercise, and have reported differences in immune parameters and oxidative stress following exercise in ME/CFS patients compared with healthy people (see a review).

There are three things I love about this study.

• One - David Patrick is new to the field - :D
  • Two - He's apparently very well known in Canada - he's got some real chops up there! :hungry:
  • Three - His exercise physiologist met with the folks at Workwell and came away STUNNED at the results of the 2-day exercise tests :wacky:
Let's hope this study goes well and he keeps in the field! We need more people like him.

Lol, just got it Cort. Side note on dr. Patrick, he is much more handsome in person. I have been a loyal test subject for the ccdc research. Wasn't well enough for excercise study. He and his team are dedicated and passionate and I feel fortunate to be a part of the studies.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Lol, just got it Cort. Side note on dr. Patrick, he is much more handsome in person. I have been a loyal test subject for the ccdc research. Wasn't well enough for excercise study. He and his team are dedicated and passionate and I feel fortunate to be a part of the studies.
That's great to hear. Staci Stevens and the team at Workwell were very impressed by him. I hope his study proves and we have another good researcher in our fold :)

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources