Hot Canadian Researcher Examining Exercise in ME/CFS

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
DavidPatrick1.jpg

This guy is the head of a unit in the Canadian CDC. He's well respected and he's studying ME/CFS and exercise. He's got a excellent exercise physiologist working with him. That guy visited Workwell and was astonished, completely astonished to see ME/CFS patients failing the second day exercise test. He'd never seen anything like that before.

This NIH funded study is really good because it's getting us outside the ME/CFS "ghetto" so to speak and into respected researchers in their fields. That's been really hard to do with exercise. It's a smaller one-year study.

http://projectreporter.nih.gov/project_info_description.cfm?aid=8752469&icde=24069285

EXPLORING HOST GENE EXPRESSION DURING POST-EXERTIONAL SYMPTOM FLARE IN ME/CFS: A​

We propose to take a fresh look at why people with ME/CFS feel profoundly tired following exercise by applying newly available gene sequencing technologies with standardized exercise testing. The exercise testing provides a measured stimulus and also allows objective categorization of patients according to their exercise response. The next generation sequencing will allow a much deeper probe of host gene expression (especially as it relates to immune signaling after exercise) than has previously been possible.

By looking for differences in those with ME/CFS and in healthy people before and after exercise challenge, we hope to identify specific patterns or response that might explain prolonged fatigue symptoms, help with diagnosis and point to pathways for therapy.

Paw

Yeah, I guess he's pretty hot, but I'm mostly interested in his research credentials.

I have been wondering about something my neurologist told me regarding exercise. He's been trying to steer me away from, say, long brisk walks, which I really enjoy, and toward shorter cardio workouts, which I don't like, so I have a lot more trouble doing them regularly.

Does anyone know of detrimental effects when ME (or FM) sufferers walk regularly? Maybe it's worsening my RLS and lower-extremity numbness more than a gym-based workout? On the other hand, if the concern is limited to fatigue I can live with that, since I usually walk in the evenings so I'm good and tired before bed.

(I also try to do yoga regularly, which seems to help significantly, as do warm baths with Epsom salt.)

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
I would do what makes you feels best physically. I think most advice would steer away from long walks - but if you're feeling better after them....
Dan Moricoli combined both. he would go on a short walk - come back - rest. Do his short cardio exercise workouts with weights - resting in between each of them - go on a short walk - repeat the process - go on a short walk and do his yoga....

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources