How badly is alpha-lipoic acid affected by taking with food?

November Girl

I already have meds scheduled 6 times a day, and have to eat every 3 hours. The easiest time to add the alpha-lipoic acid and acetyl-L-carnitine is with breakfast and dinner. How much does this change the effective dose of the supplements?

Remy

Administrator
I already have meds scheduled 6 times a day, and have to eat every 3 hours. The easiest time to add the alpha-lipoic acid and acetyl-L-carnitine is with breakfast and dinner. How much does this change the effective dose of the supplements?
I don't think anyone knows exactly what percentage it will decrease absorption to take with food unfortunately.

I will say that when I first got sick, I didn't know any better and took all my supps, including ALA and L-carnitine with food. And I still went into remission.

This time around I'm taking them on an empty stomach for the most part and I'm still not fully recovered. So I think maybe there are other factors at work that may be more critical than the exact timing.

November Girl

Thanks, Remy.
I just read a recommendation to take it 20 minutes before breakfast. That might be workable. I might even manage that before the evening meal.
I think that most actual vitamins should be taken with food. So far I take all of my supplements with food. Maybe I should rethink this.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Thanks, Remy.
I just read a recommendation to take it 20 minutes before breakfast. That might be workable. I might even manage that before the evening meal.
I think that most actual vitamins should be taken with food. So far I take all of my supplements with food. Maybe I should rethink this.
Are you seeing any effects from the ALA and Carnintine?

November Girl

Are you seeing any effects from the ALA and Carnintine?
I've let my my sleep patterns get absolutely crazy. On top of that, remembering to take all of my meds, and at the right time has been a mess as well. So I can't really answer this.

I can tell you that the LDN I started awhile back is helping a lot. I'm still gradually titrating up, so expect to feel a lot more benefit.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources