How herpes simplex reactivates in neurons to trigger disease

Merry

JennyJenny

herpes simplex virus reactivates inside neurons to trigger disease:
HSV-1 is thought to be causing Fibro per Dr. Pridgen and it seems that ME/CFS patients may also have this virus unleashed on the neurons.

I suppose it depends on where in your brain it unleashes. Considering they now believe Alzheirmers and MS are both caused by Herpes family viruses it may be which virus and where it unleashed and that may be genetic faults that are allowing it to hit different parts of the brain/neurons.

Incredible pictures of the virus and neurons in Neuroscience News.

Merry

HSV-1 is thought to be causing Fibro per Dr. Pridgen and it seems that ME/CFS patients may also have this virus unleashed on the neurons.

I suppose it depends on where in your brain it unleashes. Considering they now believe Alzheirmers and MS are both caused by Herpes family viruses it may be which virus and where it unleashed and that may be genetic faults that are allowing it to hit different parts of the brain/neurons.

Incredible pictures of the virus and neurons in Neuroscience News.

Yes, colorful picture. Thanks, @JennyJenny, for pointing that out. I went back and took a good look.

In my long experience of being ill, ME/CFS and Fibromyalgia are the same thing.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
"What we’ve now found is how stress at the cellular level allows for viral reactivation.”

I think this is just very important research. I just cannot imagine given all the stress related issues in ME/CFS - at least for me - that herpesviruses are not involved. With all the oxidative stress in ME/CFS and FM - cell related stress must be involved.

“The proteins we’ve shown to be important for viral reactivation are almost exclusively found in neurons, so they do represent a good therapeutic target,” said Anna Cliffe, PhD, first and co-corresponding author of the study and a postdoctoral fellow in the department of cell biology and physiology. “We’ve known that stress triggers viral reactivation. What we’ve now found is how stress at the cellular level allows for viral reactivation.”

Researchers at the University of North Carolina discover how the herpes simplex virus reactivates inside neurons to trigger disease:

http://news.unchealthcare.org/news/...rus-reactivates-in-neurons-to-trigger-disease

Here's another article on the discovery and, then, the abstract of the original paper:

http://neurosciencenews.com/herpes-simplex-stress-neurons-3248/

http://www.cell.com/cell-host-microbe/abstract/S1931-3128(15)00461-8

JennyJenny

In my long experience of being ill, ME/CFS and Fibromyalgia are the same thing.
I have been sick a long time too. But I had two onsets, at least by age 13 I now believe was Fibro and my being already auto-neuro immune weak when Mono hit and it was the worst the doctor ever saw I believe at 18 that was my ME/CFS onset. I think it may boil down to where is the virus going to hit so what disease occurs.

I have 3 family members with Fibro and they know that at times they get CF onsets but they know it is not CFS. They can accomplish, way... way too much and I don't see it as the same as ME/CFS.

I just can see both my diseases in their separate criteria in me but I know there are many who do believe they are the same. But for me I just know of the two different onset times in my life and ME/CFS is more attributed to a viral onset whereas Fibro is connected to: physical and emotional abuse, car accidents, surgeries, other disease and/or illness, bacterial infections, yes sometimes viral/flu onsets (but that seems much more with ME/CFS), divorces, death in family and so on. A severe stressor releases the Herpes virus onto the central nervous system of probably someone that has a genetic defect to allow for it to happen. And while there have been those cases where people with ME/CFS can attribute their onset to those just listed, like the SEID criteria spells out there is a viral onset for those with ME/CFS.

All speculation on my experiences and those of my family members but hopefully there is a big bundle of money ready to be unleashed on ME/CFS/FMS research.

Last edited:

Merry

I have been sick a long time too. But I had two onsets, at least by age 13 I now believe was Fibro and my being already auto-neuro immune weak when Mono hit and it was the worst the doctor ever saw I believe at 18 that was my ME/CFS onset. I think it may boil down to where is the virus going to hit so what will I produce.

I have 3 family members with Fibro and they know that at times they get CF onsets but they know it is not CFS. They can accomplish, way... way too much and I don't see it as the same as ME/CFS.

I just can see both my diseases in their separate criteria in me but I know there are many who do believe they are the same. But for me I just know of the two different onset times in my life and ME/CFS is more attributed to a viral onset whereas Fibro is connected to: physical and emotional abuse, car accidents, surgeries, other disease and/or illness, bacterial infections, yes sometimes viral/flu onsets (but that seems much more with ME/CFS), divorces, death in family and so on. A severe stressor releases the Herpes virus onto the central nervous system of probably someone that has a genetic defect to allow for it to happen. And while there have been those cases where people with ME/CFS can attribute their onset to those just listed, like the SEID criteria spells out there is a viral onset for those with ME/CFS.

All speculation on my experiences and those of my family members but hopefully there is a big bundle of money ready to be unleashed on ME/CFS/FMS research.

I only meant that in my experience I can't distinguish between them. What will eventually be discovered in research about people diagnosed with either fibromyalgia or ME/CFS or how the labels for particular clusters of symptoms may change, I have no idea.

To add to your speculation about causes, let me say that I know a family with four members ill with ME/CFS: wife, husband, adopted daughter, biological son. The cause of their ME/CFS is no mystery: exposure to high levels of a now-banned pesticide.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources