I had a crazy (bizarre) idea. I'm not proud of that.

Folk

(Any chance of making this thread members only?)

It might sound crazy because it totally is but think with me for a while. I don't care where the money for our research comes from. Even if it was from illegal means for me it would be ok and in this case it isn't illegal even though it should be.

So here it is:
Who did the most harm to ME/CFS patients? Psychiatrists.
Who are the number one enemy of the psychiatrists? Scientologists.

If you know what Scientology is (really, if you know how crazy it is) skip that next paragraph:
Scientology is a religion that is more famous for Tom Cruise than for it's ideas. They are LOADED with cash even though they're loosing some over the years after facing so many trials. They are a mix of totally lunatic/brainwashing/brainwashed/crazy/scam/givemeyourmoney/yesI'll people. For example they believe you have aliens in your body and have to get rid of them, or that millions of years ago there was a society just like ours that went into extinction, or if you do some wrong stuff (which you might not even consider wrong) you go to a place called "The Hole" where you are humilliated beyond any limits. For a real idea of what it is like you can watch the documentary: Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief (it's pretty entertaining).

The thing is... Most people there have real good intentions, they trully believe they were chosen and that they need to save the human race from evil. They are just being scamed.
They actually have real actions against psychiatrists. There's a book called "The Psychopat Test" by the journalist Jon Ronson (pretty good book too). Where they try and succeed (after years and years of battle) to release a man diagnosed by psychiatrists as a psychopath from a mental institution.

So I think at that point my idea is already pretty obvious. Get anyone in contact with scientologists, show them what is ME/CFS and what psychiatrist did over the year for us, and start the battle. Have the media attention, getting research money... Whathever comes out of it.

The risk would be, being associated with lunatics might drive us more into the crazy side "it's all in your head" road again.

But they are powerful, that's for sure.
(I've been debating whether I should post or not this thread... I'll cause that's how it works, one idea might lead to another and another untill something trully amazing happens, yet one Idea might lead to Nazism so I'm kind of afraid. Please be gentle and think clear :) )

Merida

Folk,
This is great " out of the box" thinking. And perhaps it will take this kind of thinking to make progress? I do know of a former scientologist who tried to leave after paying heaps of money to advance to high levels. It wasn't good - in fact, it was scary.

I have "out of the box" thinking,too. But not enough courage or information to share it yet ;)

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
This is
(Any chance of making this thread members only?)

It might sound crazy because it totally is but think with me for a while. I don't care where the money for our research comes from. Even if it was from illegal means for me it would be ok and in this case it isn't illegal even though it should be.

So here it is:
Who did the most harm to ME/CFS patients? Psychiatrists.
Who are the number one enemy of the psychiatrists? Scientologists.

If you know what Scientology is (really, if you know how crazy it is) skip that next paragraph:
Scientology is a religion that is more famous for Tom Cruise than for it's ideas. They are LOADED with cash even though they're loosing some over the years after facing so many trials. They are a mix of totally lunatic/brainwashing/brainwashed/crazy/scam/givemeyourmoney/yesI'll people. For example they believe you have aliens in your body and have to get rid of them, or that millions of years ago there was a society just like ours that went into extinction, or if you do some wrong stuff (which you might not even consider wrong) you go to a place called "The Hole" where you are humilliated beyond any limits. For a real idea of what it is like you can watch the documentary: Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief (it's pretty entertaining).

The thing is... Most people there have real good intentions, they trully believe they were chosen and that they need to save the human race from evil. They are just being scamed.
They actually have real actions against psychiatrists. There's a book called "The Psychopat Test" by the journalist Jon Ronson (pretty good book too). Where they try and succeed (after years and years of battle) to release a man diagnosed by psychiatrists as a psychopath from a mental institution.

So I think at that point my idea is already pretty obvious. Get anyone in contact with scientologists, show them what is ME/CFS and what psychiatrist did over the year for us, and start the battle. Have the media attention, getting research money... Whathever comes out of it.

The risk would be, being associated with lunatics might drive us more into the crazy side "it's all in your head" road again.

But they are powerful, that's for sure.
(I've been debating whether I should post or not this thread... I'll cause that's how it works, one idea might lead to another and another untill something trully amazing happens, yet one Idea might lead to Nazism so I'm kind of afraid. Please be gentle and think clear :) )

This is indeed out of the box thinking Folk. Hey when you don't have a lot of allies you start thinking creatively. Scientology has gotten a lot of bad press and they've apparently done some bad things and have got some bad apples but I'm sure the technology is pretty powerful. They do have a ton of money apparently but I imagine they have a lot on their plate.

I think they would wholly agree that psychiatrists get too much attention in this and other diseases..It would be a strange marriage though. :wacky:

Just the idea of it makes you think more creatively...

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Folk,
This is great " out of the box" thinking. And perhaps it will take this kind of thinking to make progress? I do know of a former scientologist who tried to leave after paying heaps of money to advance to high levels. It wasn't good - in fact, it was scary.

I have "out of the box" thinking,too. But not enough courage or information to share it yet ;)
Ah Merida - do share! :hungry:
Let's get some more out of the box thinking!

Folk

Folk,

Ah Merida - do share! :hungry:
Let's get some more out of the box thinking!

Yeah! share with us. What if Einstein have said that? I have an "out of the box" theory about relativity, but I don't wanna talk about it :yawn:
:shamefullyembarrased:

Last edited:

Merida

Oh geez. I'll think about it. It is very far out. And the only reason I have courage to even think about it is because my doctor ( board-certified in internal medicine and infectious disease/prof at USC ) thinks about it, too.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources