1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

In Spite of all the Pain etc., don't lose sight

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jaminhealth, Dec 30, 2017.

1. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Active Member

Abrin likes this.
  2. Abrin

Abrin Well-Known Member

Good wishes in 2018 to you as well!

Even though I agree with a lot of the article that you posted, one critique I have is actually about the the very 'first lesson' it talks about. The article says:

"Ignoring to make a choice that transforms your life is a choice to remain the way you are. There is no way you are not making a choice. Not moving when you should move is a choice."

Ah, if only the concept of how our mind makes choice was so easy. But, you see science tells us that a lot of the symptoms of ME/CFS takes our ability to make good choices away from us.
    • Sleep deprivation makes the ability to make good choices really hard because of the affect it has on your willpower.
    • Post Exertional Malaise removes your ability to make the choice to physically move.
    • All these things can cause stress which has also been shown to affect your decision-making skills
    So am I saying that people should just up and give up on trying to control their own choices? Oh my goodness no! Instead, I think a much more effective way to handle self-improvement is to focus on your habits instead with judging them.

I highly recommend the book: 'The Power of Habit' by Charles Duhigg

Although my critique might seem like splitting hairs there is actually a huge difference between focusing on your 'choices' compared to focusing on your 'habits'. Focusing on habits allows you to make S.M.A.R.T goals (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, Time-bound) while focusing on every single choice you make in a day is both frustrating and mentally exhausting. :)