In Spite of all the Pain etc., don't lose sight

Abrin

Good wishes in 2018 to you as well!

Even though I agree with a lot of the article that you posted, one critique I have is actually about the the very 'first lesson' it talks about. The article says:

"Ignoring to make a choice that transforms your life is a choice to remain the way you are. There is no way you are not making a choice. Not moving when you should move is a choice."

Ah, if only the concept of how our mind makes choice was so easy. But, you see science tells us that a lot of the symptoms of ME/CFS takes our ability to make good choices away from us.
  • Sleep deprivation makes the ability to make good choices really hard because of the affect it has on your willpower.
  • Post Exertional Malaise removes your ability to make the choice to physically move.
  • All these things can cause stress which has also been shown to affect your decision-making skills
So am I saying that people should just up and give up on trying to control their own choices? Oh my goodness no! Instead, I think a much more effective way to handle self-improvement is to focus on your habits instead with judging them.

I highly recommend the book: 'The Power of Habit' by Charles Duhigg

Although my critique might seem like splitting hairs there is actually a huge difference between focusing on your 'choices' compared to focusing on your 'habits'. Focusing on habits allows you to make S.M.A.R.T goals (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, Time-bound) while focusing on every single choice you make in a day is both frustrating and mentally exhausting. :)

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources