Inner ear, balance, postural blood pressure

Not dead yet!

I was looking at why I got so nauseous (a lot) when I got an MRI. It led me to "bilateral vestibular hypofunction (BVH)." Really seems relevant to ME/CFS if postural bp is an issue you're dealing with. There seems to be a physical therapy / electrostimulation treatment.

Current concepts of the compensatory mechanisms in humans with BVH are largely inferential, as there is a lack of data from patients early in the disease process. Translation of animal studies of compensation for BVH into therapeutic strategies and subsequent application in the clinic is the most likely route to improve treatment. In addition to physical therapy, two types of prosthetic devices have been proposed to treat individuals with bilateral loss of vestibular inputs: those that provide tactile stimulation to indicate body position in space, and those that deliver electrical stimuli to branches of the vestibular nerve in accordance with head movements. The relative efficacy of these two treatment paradigms, and whether they can be combined to facilitate recovery, is yet to be ascertained.

I have never been able to tolerate an MRI without total panic because I was "about to throw up." The phrase "labyrinthine function" came up when I tried to look into it also.

Has anyone had therapy for inner ear issues and did it help with ME/CFS? I frequently can get a dizzy spell without even getting up from a chair. Just sitting, and then wham, room spinning.

LA2SD

I was looking at why I got so nauseous (a lot) when I got an MRI. It led me to "bilateral vestibular hypofunction (BVH)." Really seems relevant to ME/CFS if postural bp is an issue you're dealing with. There seems to be a physical therapy / electrostimulation treatment.

I have never been able to tolerate an MRI without total panic because I was "about to throw up." The phrase "labyrinthine function" came up when I tried to look into it also.

Has anyone had therapy for inner ear issues and did it help with ME/CFS? I frequently can get a dizzy spell without even getting up from a chair. Just sitting, and then wham, room spinning.

Love your screen name by the way!

Dizziness is not one of my main symptoms, but I've been looking over my whole medical history and I had a very acute episode of extreme dizziness as a teen. It was so bad that my boyfriend had to carry me to the doctor, and it lasted for days. They diagnosed me with "inner ear imbalance" as I guess our balance is in our ears, and they told me to stop cleaning my ears so much. Now, I never had dizziness that bad again, but at the same time, I do still clean my ears daily. Am I more careful not to enter the canal too far now that I'm grown, and that is why it hasn't come back? Or is there more to this than my doctors and I even realized?

At this point, I'm now seeing this acute episode as a piece of the puzzle ME/CFS puzzle.

LA2SD

Hi Not Dead Yet!

I was re-looking into going back to an Upper Cervical Chiropractor and stumbled upon this blog and thought of you and this discussion.... I do wonder if any of it may be related to what you're going through. It may not, but thought I'd share in case Upper Cervical can help you too. I also remembered I was once told that if we have adrenal issues, we will get dizzy, especially if we stand up too quickly. How interesting that Dr. Heyman in Virginia who diagnosed Dr. James with CIRS has been teaching that our adrenal issues stem from the brain anyway, which, in my layman's terms, the brain is expressing that it has had enough of all the stressors coming at it and the body...

Not dead yet!

Hi Not Dead Yet!

I was re-looking into going back to an Upper Cervical Chiropractor and stumbled upon this blog and thought of you and this discussion.... I do wonder if any of it may be related to what you're going through. It may not, but thought I'd share in case Upper Cervical can help you too. I also remembered I was once told that if we have adrenal issues, we will get dizzy, especially if we stand up too quickly. How interesting that Dr. Heyman in Virginia who diagnosed Dr. James with CIRS has been teaching that our adrenal issues stem from the brain anyway, which, in my layman's terms, the brain is expressing that it has had enough of all the stressors coming at it and the body...

Yeah there's an upper cervical thing going on with me. I have occipital neuralgia. For a while I was getting nerve block shots. But I switched doctors and I didn't like the way they were casual about where they put the needles. Nor did they clean the area well beforehand. I just decided I didn't need a bunch of germs being needled into my skull, so I stopped going. It also wasn't working and they never bothered to adjust the dose. I don't like people playing wild west with my skull.

It's an interesting thought that maybe it's a deterioration of my ON issue. Thanks.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources