Ketogenic (Paleo Plus?) Diet How To's

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Someone (Remy?) said there are way to tell if you've reached ketosis. Can someone put that here?

Other resources would be ways to track fat and protein content (cronometer, I think it is) and other dietary measuring apps.

Plus ????

Remy

Administrator
Someone (Remy?) said there are way to tell if you've reached ketosis. Can someone put that here?

Other resources would be ways to track fat and protein content (cronometer, I think it is) and other dietary measuring apps.

Plus ????
The best way to measure is a combination of urine ketone strips (cheap) and a blood ketone meter.

Use the urine strips to track when you enter into ketosis. Once they start turning purple, switch to the more expensive blood ketone strips. Otherwise you waste a bunch of blood strips at the beginning.

Test for urine ketones first in the morning and test blood ketones mid afternoon.

Cort

Staff member
The best way to measure is a combination of urine ketone strips (cheap) and a blood ketone meter.

Use the urine strips to track when you enter into ketosis. Once they start turning purple, switch to the more expensive blood ketone strips. Otherwise you waste a bunch of blood strips at the beginning.

Test for urine ketones first in the morning and test blood ketones mid afternoon.
That sounds easy - thanks :)

tandrsc

Cort

Staff member
Nice! Thanks :)
If you can afford it, there's a ketones breath test device. If you are planning ketosis long term, it might be cost effective. It's available in several countries.

https://www.ketonix.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=91&Itemid=362&lang=en

There's a podcast about it on one of the epilepsy sites (see "Ketonix Breath Analyzer Shark Tank Proposal") on this page - http://www.epilepsy.com/hallway_con...blogtalk_pubdate_value&sort_order=DESC&page=5

Remy

Administrator
If you can afford it, there's a ketones breath test device. If you are planning ketosis long term, it might be cost effective. It's available in several countries.

https://www.ketonix.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=91&Itemid=362&lang=en

There's a podcast about it on one of the epilepsy sites (see "Ketonix Breath Analyzer Shark Tank Proposal") on this page - http://www.epilepsy.com/hallway_con...blogtalk_pubdate_value&sort_order=DESC&page=5
I have this but I don't use it because it's not very user friendly unfortunately.

Cort

Staff member
How about the best way to track fats/ protein/carb content on one's diet?

San Diego

How about the best way to track fats/ protein/carb content on one's diet?
I should sell Cronometer lol.

It’s so powerful that I can tweak my diet to add missing nutrients. I look at my weekly averages and usually end up taking a little zinc and potassium, as those are the hardest to get on my low-histamine version of paleo/keto.

You can look by individual vitamin, mineral, amino acid, etc and see what foods will supply that nutrient.

You can see your important ratios of zinc/copper; omega 3/omega 6; potassium/sodium; calcium/magnesium.

You can set the program to zone, paleo, keto, or other diets, and then select the level you want - rigorous, moderate, relaxed, or custom.

You set weight loss, gain, or maintain.

And so much more.

I don’t feel like I’m guessing any longer regarding nutrition. My diet data printout, with a 98-99% perfect diet, makes doctors think twice about my malnutrition, fatigue, etc. One less thing they can blame on me!

Cort

Staff member
I should sell Cronometer lol.

It’s so powerful that I can tweak my diet to add missing nutrients. I look at my weekly averages and usually end up taking a little zinc and potassium, as those are the hardest to get on my low-histamine version of paleo/keto.

You can look by individual vitamin, mineral, amino acid, etc and see what foods will supply that nutrient.

You can see your important ratios of zinc/copper; omega 3/omega 6; potassium/sodium; calcium/magnesium.

You can set the program to zone, paleo, keto, or other diets, and then select the level you want - rigorous, moderate, relaxed, or custom.

You set weight loss, gain, or maintain.

And so much more.

I don’t feel like I’m guessing any longer regarding nutrition. My diet data printout, with a 98-99% perfect diet, makes doctors think twice about my malnutrition, fatigue, etc. One less thing they can blame on me!

San Diego

So...... my ketogenic diet has been successful on all accounts except one. My bloodwork is a abnormal.

I’m not terribly concerned, as I can reverse this simply by cutting back on fats.

Anyone know, or have references on, what to expect with our bloodwork while we are in ketosis, and what is actually dangerous? Mine specifically:

Normal findings: HDL, LDL, and ratio

Abnormal findings: Triglycerides VERY high, non-HDL high, total cholesterol barely high

From “The Wahl’s Protocol”:

We tell our study patients that diets high in coconut fat and low in carbs may increase the total cholesterol and your HDL, but would likely at the same time reduce the number of oxidized cholesterols that are the most damaging.

With my patients, whose brains need healing, I don’t worry as much about this increase in cholesterol. With the reduced inflammation typical of being in nutritional ketosis, vascular health is likely to remain strong.

Fasting triglyceride to HDL ratio greater than 3 probably indicates insulin resistance. Decrease carbs and advance to Wahl’s Paleo or Paleo Plus.

Needless to say, I’m not particularly fond of the idea of insulin resistance. As my bloodwork was done NON-fasting, I will repeat and hope for better.

Remy

Administrator
So...... my ketogenic diet has been successful on all accounts except one. My bloodwork is a abnormal.

I’m not terribly concerned, as I can reverse this simply by cutting back on fats.

Anyone know, or have references on, what to expect with our bloodwork while we are in ketosis, and what is actually dangerous? Mine specifically:

Normal findings: HDL, LDL, and ratio

Abnormal findings: Triglycerides VERY high, non-HDL high, total cholesterol barely high

From “The Wahl’s Protocol”:

Needless to say, I’m not particularly fond of the idea of insulin resistance. As my bloodwork was done NON-fasting, I will repeat and hope for better.
Did you see this article, by chance?

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2015/01/high-triglycerides/

I'd definitely redo it fasting...

I assume your triglycerides have never been high before?

San Diego

Did you see this article, by chance?

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2015/01/high-triglycerides/

I'd definitely redo it fasting...

I assume your triglycerides have never been high before?
Good article. Thanks so much.

Yes, I’ve never had high triglycerides before. And yes, I had a cup of bulletproof coffee (MCT oil and ghee) before my labs that day. (How can you go without it once you’re used to it? It’s soo good!)

So my bet is that it’s purely dietary? I’m already doing most everything (except exercise) required to lower triglycerides.

Of course, the lab report says “Patient insisted on having labs drawn even though she was not fasting”. :D Sometimes you've just gotta laugh at yourself.

ankaa

which blood ketone tester do you recommend? Dr Veech (who's some kind of ketone expert from Harvard who studied w Dr Krebs himself!) was on Bulletproof radio and said the urine ones are worthless b/c they don't indicate if you have ketones in your blood. He said the blood ketone testers are the only ones to use. thx

Remy

Administrator
which blood ketone tester do you recommend? Dr Veech (who's some kind of ketone expert from Harvard who studied w Dr Krebs himself!) was on Bulletproof radio and said the urine ones are worthless b/c they don't indicate if you have ketones in your blood. He said the blood ketone testers are the only ones to use. thx
I use the Precision Xtra blood and ketone meter. They are getting harder to find though. I think it may have been discontinued.

I used it with the Neo strips for glucose (for their current meter which is blood sugar only but they still work) and have to order the ketone strips from eBay. Let me know if you need a cheap(er) source.

https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Blood-Glucose-Monitoring-System/dp/B000N64MZA?th=1

Not dead yet!

Good article. Thanks so much.

Yes, I’ve never had high triglycerides before. And yes, I had a cup of bulletproof coffee (MCT oil and ghee) before my labs that day. (How can you go without it once you’re used to it? It’s soo good!)

So my bet is that it’s purely dietary? I’m already doing most everything (except exercise) required to lower triglycerides.

Of course, the lab report says “Patient insisted on having labs drawn even though she was not fasting”. :D Sometimes you've just gotta laugh at yourself.

Actually there is a different test for lipids and liver function that they use ONLY for people who have not been fasting. Some doctors use only the non-fasted blood test. So that looks like the nurse or lab tech was uninformed, no reflection on you.

You don't need to worry about TG unless it's consistently very high, over 500, it can cause your pancreas to be damaged. That happens to me if I eat too many carbs. The cause of heart disease is not proven at all, and I favor the alternative cause, that is, uncontrolled ROS's, so I think vitamin C does more to protect you from it than worrying about lipids. Take a look at Dr. Malcolm Kendrick and see what you think of his theory. He's very vocal about it. ;)

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources